Map Spotlight: emp_duststorm

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, May 27, 2009.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Deserts are pretty wet around dawn.

2. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

3d skybox needs rocky hills in area behind ruins. it's too empty

3. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I think the different 2D skybox looks great... and it's interesting how people seem to have conveniently forgotten that duststorm's previous skybox texture is all overcast (completely covered by clouds). The new 2D skybox textures have only minimal clouds, much like the ones in Mayama's pictures. I think it looks way better.

I also like seeing my sand and rock texture together. That rock and the other 2 rock textures I made are applicable in other maps... I think I might retexture emp_atoll and try out one of them for the rocky areas.

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

The clouds look weird because they're brown and fluffly instead of white and fluffy. :3

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

I just noticed one thing i wish i hadn't (3rd pic post #74). The small pebbles leave trails in the sand that are caused by flowing water. I tried to imagine the wind causing it but wind causes a buildup of sand and usually from all sides, as the direction of wind changes.

Untill someone finds me a real life example of how these trails can exist in dry places it's going to annoy me :(

6. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Those look like shadows to me, but there are bugs and insects in the desert that will push little pebbles or their own dun across the desert floor.

7. Jackman

Jackman Member

I think you are quibbling over specifics that aren't particularly important. It looks good. Leave it. Maybe it just rained and that's why there is water lying around and rocks exposed?

8. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Those are shadows, not trails left from movement.

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

woahly shit those screen in 2nd post look nice. VERY GOOD

10. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

my gcse geography teacher told me that deserts are very dry (i.e, not humid/moist) places, which get incredibly hot during the day due to lack of clouds and incredibly cold during the night as the heat escapes straight into space instead of being reflected by clouds.

so either those clouds are caused by wet air being pushed into high altitude by nearby mountains, or my geography teacher was generalising. i'm guessing a bit of both.

but I'll concede i was wrong to say you don't get clouds in the desert.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

EY DIS AINT EARTH BRAH BRAH.. IF IT LOOKS COOL KEEP IT, WHO GIVES A SHIT IF CLOUDS ARE BROWN OR BEACH SAND IS IN A DESERT.. IT LOOKS DOPE..

Anyone seen that brian regan comedian talking about the guy who called NBC and complained about them adding bird sounds to a golf tournament that weren't indigenous to that area?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  12. FN198

FN198 Member

make the ruins all metallic and sci fi like in the starcraft desert mapping set.

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

actually i dont mind the idea of modern ruins to much, anyone else got an opinion on it?

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its just cosmetic woudnt change the gameplay so who cares :P

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

I suppose my first impression would be "damn, why the fuck did they change the ruins", but after a while i'd get used to it.

Depends on HOW modern though.

16. Jackman

Jackman Member

When I heard that, I was immediately thinking like nano-tech station or something blown up.

17. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Make it a crashed blimb. with havestable fuel from the fuel tank and powwa from the powwa genarator. Altough it is conveniantly the exact same shape as it is now.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i am still working on a pimped ruins keef, if you are also gonna do it please state it so i will stop spending time at it :(

19. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

If this is not too much of a change, can you lower the water level around the ruins so tanks don't get swamped. Also, to make things a little more equal, what about changing the little puddles near the bases to be large enough to drop the CV in or shrink it so you cant.

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well if you would make even an effort to contact me about it I could then assume your even working on it, as it stands I've sent you a PM and even bothered to add you on steam friends. Neither of which you have tried to contact me back or even bother accepting steam friends, so I just assume its a fluke and your not REALLY interested in building these things so I was just going to take the initiative and finish it myself.

O_o ive never gotten a tank stuck in the little river. dont think im going to change this.