Reverse the behavior of attack orders and radar blips.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Well, not entirely. Keep attack orders red and radar white, since red is eye-catching.

But why not make it so attack orders sort of fade in and out, like radar/camera indicators do now, and make radar/camera/listening post indicators solid? An attack order only has to give you a general sense of where your comm wants to go; there's no need for it to be a wallhack.

Conversely, sensors are intended to give you an advantage (and the enemy has a way to fight them), so they can just be solid. Of course, they don't need to be; you could just make comm targets fade in and out.

Targets on terrain or structures would be excluded. Only targets on moving things need to fade. This would also be helpful to infantry in another way -- they'd know at a glance if the target you just gave them is on a (potentially) moving enemy or not based on whether it's fading or not (of course, they can see this if they actually move, but sometimes they're stable and it takes a moment. This would fix that.)

2. SupaChupa

SupaChupa Member

i agree because the wall hack targets kinda negate most infantry tactics, instead of relying on good eyes to spot the enemy you just say COM I NEED TARGETS!!!!! and you instantly see where that guy is shooting you from

3. Alceister

Alceister Member

Comm attack orders need the axe. I find it obtusely stupid that I have to press A and drag every 30 seconds.

4. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

It's unfair, no matter how nerf'd, that player A should lose to player B because it just so happened that player C gave player A a wall hack and dopey player D didn't give B one. That's pure and simply unfair. There's no "strategy" or intelligence needed to give the wallhacks. And I don't want to see players

I don't want to see intelligent plays, like sneaking around the enemies flank, or sprinting up behind the enemies walls and getting ready for them to try the same punished.

and I especially don't want to see one team beating the other team not because they outsmarted or played better as a team than the other one, but because they had wallhacks and the other team didn't.

It's also one more way that a newbie commander can fuck over their own team.

there's been lots of alternatives suggested that still give a commander the ability to point out specific targets/areas, which is the only strategic and important part of wallhacks to retain.

my favorite is that when the commander a-clicks while having friendly units selected, it produces a translucent red hemisphere on the terrain for the players, about the size of an armoury. this can be dragged by the commander, or using a draggable button on the circumference of the hemisphere, changed size. a commander can then tell units to attack specific areas. an addition to this is that the hemisphere wouldn't cancel and current move orders, which is a big flaw with the current system in that in order to provide wall hacks, commanders can't actually give players permaneant waypoints directing the team about and letting them know where they need to be. just to wrap things up, the "attack this location" sound plays only once every 5 seconds if the sphere is being dragged or repeatedly replaced, so as to allow a commander to track a specific enemy for his players without them hearing voice spam.

this should be a no brainer.

5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Yes, yes. It wouldn't solve everything. But for now, at least, this suggestion seems like it would be something very easy to do.

6. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

a good intermediate suggestion would just be to disable the A key in comm view.

7. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Good idea, less work for the com, and give people a reason to drop cams. Might need a slight change in the range, and make sure the fade delay for the com targets is reasonable, 10 to 20 seconds?

fixed

8. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Personally still a fan of listening posts. And the com can still tell people where the fugging roflman in the trees is by using this thing called 'speech'. you should try it some time.

also.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=disable+windows+key+registry

I've had a registry hack to disable the windows key for ages, it's a real life saver.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Some comms lack mics. The game shouldn't require a mic to play.

10. zenarion

zenarion Member

I think this is a good suggestion that will actually give some sort of meaning to building those cameras and engi radars.

11. Sirex

Sirex Member

It is a step in the right direction to remove comm wallhax.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

But in the ever-moving battle lines of Empires, it is somewhat difficult to establish an effective camera.

13. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I suggested this way back when, but what would be really useful is if scouts had a special combined miniature camera/radar sensor they throw like a sticky rather than building as a structure -- a little round 'eyeball' camera thing. It doesn't last forever (and can be shot off by enemies), but it can stick to tanks as well as walls and ceilings, including both friendly and hostile tanks.

14. FN198

FN198 Member

play the game more