My NF rax let me show u it.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris0132', May 13, 2009.

1. Lumi

Lumi Member

This thread's been a little dead.

How's it coming along?

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It isn't. It's more or less done.

I don't see what else I need to add.

I'm waiting for someone on the dev team to ask for the model so I know whether to bother finalising it, if they don't I'll just file it away somewhere and maybe use it in a map.

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

also, if its not too late to add suggestions or if it is not already in, can you make sure the doorways are wide enough so they can not be blocked by 1 person standing in the wrong spot?

EDIT: also, could we get a pic of the final(ish) product then?

4. zenarion

zenarion Member

I like it. Lot better than the current NF rax.
    Pleading the devs to implement.

5. Jackman

Jackman Member

It's good, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to merit a replacement. NEW isn't always BETTER, y'know?

I think the entry-way is still kind of contrived. What's with the cross support on ALL the metal sheets? you really would only need cross member support for the large ones so the metal doesn't twist.

It's kind of a cop out to say "I'm going to make the Devs decide to use this model, before I put enough effort into it to make it look really good"

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

+1[​IMG]

7. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

My thoughts exactly. However, I'm going to post my comments by popular request.
    Disclaimers:
    - I am by no means the final judge of whether it gets used or not.
    - I am very hard to please.
    - I am not saying the current buildings are better.

1. I'm not a fan of the forest camo
    2. I'm not a fan of the stairs;
      • Only one way up
      • The stairs look completely arbitrary. That is to say; why are there stairs? Yes, BE rax allows access, but it's by climbing on part of the structure.
    3. I'm still on the fence about the giant pipes
    4. Widen the doorway so there is room for two people side by side (I hate it when somebody idles in the door frame and blocks everybody else)
    5. The style just is too "meh". It's not bad, but it just doesn't strike me as amazing... yet.

8. Jackman

Jackman Member

[​IMG]

Perhaps something like this?

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No.
    Either the existing buildings are better, or this one is, if this one is it should logically replace the existing ones, if it isn't, it shouldn't. You can't have both.

I can remove the stairs but unless you add ladder support I can't make roof access any other way. I want to avoid piles of superfluous crap.

Also 'meh' isn't terribly helpful, what style did you have in mind?

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i think what coffee means is that the inprovement on all levels from this model to the old one is too small to justify the effort of changing it to thisone since it would only fit as a temporary measure untill a reaaaaly good model is found

i do not agree with him though, but the model could use some filing off the sharp edges

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That wouldn't make a great deal of sense given that all he'd need to do would be to move the spawn points. I make the model, the LODs, the textures, the physboxes, compile it for the game etc. The only thing that needs changing is the coded parts of the buildings, the health and stuff can stay the same, only the spawns and whatever it is that decides when you're 'in' the rax need to be modified.

On a related note I'm assuming that whatever it is which decides when you're in the rax has to be a convex shape? So I can't have any torus shaped raxes?

12. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

To define "meh": I look at it and shrug. It does not stir my loins.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't suppose you have any idea what would agitate your gentialia?

Other than me painting nude women on it.

Because finding out your fetishes by process of elimination is going to be a very long and boring process.

14. Jackman

Jackman Member

+1

Ridiculous analogies aside, you're trying to simplify the subjectivity of aesthetics by dividing it into "It is better than the current rax" or "It is not." I would say it looks different, but of the same quality level as the current one.

Imo, it is not better by leaps and bounds, and doesn't really merit a change to the status quo. Saying you'll improve its quality depending on a favourable response is a kind of catch 22. You won't get a favourable response until you improve the quality.

What more do you want? You've had plenty of suggestions for improvement. You just haven't acted upon them.

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

All those post against this barracks model revolve around "I dont like it",
    I always enjoy the professionality here on the forum.

16. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Bad:
    Sandbags+camo netting. look utterly out of place, inside looks sparse. Put thin metal pillars or crates inside, remove sandbags+netting.
    Getting to the top of the BE barracks needs jumping. Instead of stairs to the roof, make some clearly jump-able boxes and/or pipes that can get you there.
    Wide doors. I know this was to make it lower, but you can easily hit 2 birds with 1 penis here, so why not?
    Texture details. A few patches ago they put details, scratches, dents, that kind of thing, on the tanks. Do it for the buildings. Don't go with the out of a packet look, go with the out of the packet for the third or forth time look.
    I like my pipes big, but don't make them too big. You'll make lesser endowed men feel uneasy.

Good
    Good details with objects there, carry that over to your textures.
    minus bags, nets, and stairs - it's got a good shape, and the exterior looks pretty, I like those smaller pipes running along the top, nice touch there.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm not saying I'll improve it if I get a favorable response, I'm saying I'm going to leave it like that.

I'll scrap it and try a different design, how does everyone feel about concrete bunkers? The only two themes I can think of that fit NF are concrete bunkers and industrial prefabs. All the industrial prefabs will look more or less like the current rax just in slightly different shapes, because I can't change the shape drastically without altering the footprint. Concrete bunkers however can be made into lots of different shapes.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  18. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I saw that but I figured it would be boring, it's just a hemicylinder.

At the size I would have to make it it also means that most of the interior space would be wasted on account of being below head height.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

What about a bunker that was expanded with industrial (rusted metal) parts.