My NF rax let me show u it.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris0132', May 13, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same approximate dimensions as the BE one, or at least it will be once I heap some crap around it.

On that note I'm planning to put some USEFUL crap around it, not just shitty crates, I'm thinking stuff you can use as cover, I'd like to redo the BE buildings in a similar style as well, but I figured the NF rax could use the attention first.

It's about ten thousand tris, but I can cut that down substantially for the LOD models, probably won't be more than 1000 tris at a distance, metrocops use about six thousand for reference.

Also needs some interior stuff and something to block the doorways a bit, other than that I'm quite happy with it. Someone also requested I make vents on the side for particle effects to be attached to, so I had that in mind when I made it, so you can imagine steam coming out of the vents if you want.

2. Lumi

Lumi Member

It certainly is an improvement, but it looks a bit bare at this time. I know you said you will add things to it, but at the moment, it doesn't look like NF.

And true, it does need something to block the door, just give it rooms like the BE barracks.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

10k tris?
    I'm not sure how you managed that with such primitive shapes, but I'd suggest you cut down on the main model because that's ridiculous for half a cylinder with some cubes on it.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm deliberately not making it look like normal NF buildings because they're all ugly as hell, ideally I'll redo all the buildings in a better style.

5. RKB53

RKB53 Member

They are supposed to look ugly they have been in storage since the first war :P
    be stuffs in newish

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That is not an excuse. You can separate the styles and not have them look like shit.

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

NF were supposedly at a level of technology analagous to that of the mid cold war, so it doesn't have to look old and shitty.

Awesome work Chris.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

i think the shape looks to similar to the BE barracks

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make it possible to go on the roof, perhaps even build some extending rof so players can walk under it

generally more detail and random stuff to make it look less like a metal tent

althoug for a basis, a metal tent is a very good one for nf imo
    perhaps make it like it was built from "prefab" materials and just puzzled and bolted together on the spot, like a movable metal tent that can support soldiers for battle on a semi-temporarily base (a bit more permanent then a tent camp, but less permanent then a solid building

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

For the flying maps in C&C Renegade, the GDI Barracks had some small battlements on top of it to allow easy aircraft access, but it was also a good spot to protect a base from ground vehicles as it offered reasonably good cover. Perhaps you could put some makeshift barriers that allow infantry to defend their barracks on top of it.

Also, excellent work. Do you have any triangle images?

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm not posting wireframes until I have optimised it, I just listened to dizzy complaining about my optimisation for half an hour.

12. thetim

thetim Member

It's smaller, hence better than the existing NF rax. However, the side view looks like an old-school cassette boombox. Look at it and think: Speaker at each end, twin cassette decks in the middle.

Can you tweak it so it doesn't look like the centrepiece of a giants' desert hoedown? I think if you only had the vent at one end, that might do it.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm going to put stuff round it, it'll look like a building when I'm done. If it obviously needs doing I almost certainly am going to do it with or without being told.

That's pretty much exactly what I already did.

I was considering adding roof access.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

add like a un built engy wall on both ends of the roof for cover. That would be dope to hop on the roof and dig in from up there..

15. Lumi

Lumi Member

With all the tactical advantages of the BE buildings, giving a roof access with battlements(fortifications) is a very good idea.

For example, BE soldiers can easily get on top of some of their buildings (Radar, Barracks) for a vantage point, but you can't get on any of the NF buildings.

16. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

It looks nice but it needs more shape to it and some dimentions

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

it looks kinda weird, but it would be a nice placeholder D:

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You said it was impossible for me to go below 1k, if that's one of the first things you're going to say, don't complain if I assume you're missing out on the obvious ;o

19. communism

communism poof

Add some spots for a scout to hide/get cover then I could see it as a replacement... Until then its too basic

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about the vents being actual "see trough" vents, like in the nf armory?