Official 2.24 Release

Discussion in 'News' started by Coffeeburrito, May 8, 2009.

1. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I'm not saying remove mines from the game. I'm saying do NOT remove defusal from the game. Yes, you can bypass one defence method but bypassing all of the rest still requires your team. For example lvl 3 turrets can already take you down on their own, not to meantion when there are walls which you have to dodge and increase your time under turret fire. It's still not easy to defend your tank even you have defusal.

But I'm not against either changing the defusal but of course some sense would have to be involved in the changing too...

2. Caelo

Caelo Member

jup :)
    also I'm still in favour of having an antipersonel mine and an antitank mine instead of just the allround ones, but that's another suggestion..

---------------------------------------> ALSO http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=215943 <------------------------------------------

/\
    |
    |

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya or you know, we could all just leave defusal as is and call it a day. That sounds like the best plan so far.

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

this is the empires fanbase you're talking about, keef, we don't leave things alone..

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The use of mines has significantly changed since 9-mine was removed. Even though that was a good thing, there still needs to be one or two changes with mines and defusal so we keep them useful. I don't see what's wrong in examining that...?

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

What do you think would be the disadvantage to making defusal stop providing protection from mines (and giving it to scouts, I think, would be best at the same time)?

I'm still not getting it. Yes, sure, your tank can get blown up. It happens. Like you said, there's lots of dangers to tanks. What is special about tanks that you think the game needs a "special specific protection vs. tanks" skill, when it doesn't have a "special specific protection vs. bullets" skill, or a "special specific protection vs. arty" skill, or even a special protection from towers skill that works while you're driving.

The underlying core of your position seems to be that either mines are unbalanced, or mines are unfun, in a way that makes it necessary to have a specific "protection from mines" skill, despite not having a skill to defend against any of those other threats. I think I've presented a decent enough argument for why removing defusal's mine-immunity capabilities would improve teamwork and deepen the game's strategic aspects; I'm curious why you feel that it is so important that the game have a protection from mines ability, when it doesn't have a protection-from-level-3-MLs ability, or a protection-from-arty ability.

How do you feel that my suggestions for defusal would hurt the game? What part of my arguments do you disagree with? All you've said so far is that you don't want to lose your 2k tank. Well, nobody wants to lose their 2k tank, but what does that have to do with anything? Sometimes you screw up and your tank goes boom. That's part of the game.

7. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

maps such as canyon and slaughtered will be completely and utterly stagnated. because it's a lot lot easier to throw a load of mines down than it is to kamakazi units into them, let alone defuse them.

the idea of a dynamic map with changing front lines will be gone, it'll be a bloody nightmare to get through anywhere.

if people don't have an effective defuse for gren then people will take the "other" defuse, the repair upgrade. and instead of a mix of grenadiers and engineers you'll have 100% engineers.

seriously, you should be happy if you're forcing the enemy to choose defuse, because you're denying them the super healing of the engineer, which is in every other way better.

goddamnit we've discussed this people.

oh, really great job on 2.24. such an improvement deserves to be called 2.5 in my opinion, it's a massive step.

8. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

uneven numbers suck xD

2.12 = ok
    2.2 = ok
    2.21 = meh
    2.22 = ok
    2.23 = meh
    2.24 = ok

9. Mr. Weedy

Aquillion.

The point is that you can remove all those blocks on the path of your tank in a way or another.

Enemy soldiers blocking your path? Drive over/shoot them.

Level 3 turrets blocking your path? Shoot them.

Enemy walls blocking your path? Shoot them/deconstruct them from cover (provided by the walls which are being deconstructed or from somewhere other safe spot.)

Enemy mines blocking your path? ... No clear options to remove this block from your path. IF want to keep yourself or/and your tank alive and IF you don't have defusal you will just sit there and wait there until someone will offer their help to defuse those mines by stepping on them or by removing them with their defusing skill.

The latter one has only one problem. You can't defuse mines under enemy fire without dying sooner or later and you most likely won't manage to defuse even one mine because normally minefields are at locations where the most heated battles are situated and where you will very likely encounter enemy soldiers and enemy fire which kills you.

That's the reason why I'm against removing defusal. It's not acceptable that something which costs zero resources and which can be pratically placed to unlimited locations unlimited amount of times can block vehicle movement every single time when it has been done correctly (excluding the moments when a driver manages to get through with 6 layers of whatever-armor-is-stongest-against-mines-now.) and yet there's not a single drawback doing so, other than you may lose one ticket because you die to enemy fire while placing mines but you can be easily revived by engineer so even that drawback is gone then.

Removing defusal/removing its ability to protect vehicles while using them just makes mines overpowered vehicle blockingwise.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. Caelo

Caelo Member

as I told in the other topic.
    it's not acceptable to be able to bypass defense by just selecting a skill..

there should at least be some slowdown and/or risk in bypassing it.
    In the other topic I posted a way of changing the defusal skill so it still works but also gives mines a bit more meaning as a defensive method...

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Make passing the mines safely a risk. The slower you go the lower the risk. Max speed = detonation.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  12. Caelo

Caelo Member

Thats exactly what I suggested, only add weight into the equation too..

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

Nah, if there's anything i'd enjoy it's jeeps racing towards me at 100 mph exploding on a mine right before they hit me

14. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

THREE YEARS! YES! FINALLY! It was all worth it. The waiting was all worth it.

Look at that... only two days off from an actual three year time frame.

15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Since when are you the "drama queen"

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

mayama since when do you have that strange title :3

how do you get one?

17. Mr. Weedy

You fuck with Krenzo. ^^

18. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Fix'd.

Love you Krennzy!!

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

a little bit too much perhaps, i didnt know you where "one of those" ;)

j/k lol *hugs*