emp_flat

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why is there a big rock on one side and not the other?

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Simply cause i wanted to do it like that. I've got no other explanation ... or excuse.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Hmm, it'd annoy me, I hate things which are slightly asymmetric, but it's your map so do what you like.

I would suggest something else by way of terrain however, at the moment it looks very boring, it's essentially just a fairly uniform circle. Canyon is a loop I know but it has distinct choke points because of the variations in the space between the cliff walls and the height differences, also the cliff outcroppings make for good base cover so some places favour bases more than others.

I'd put some more of those rocks dotted around the place in the north, and maybe put a bit of a height variation in the south, make it lower down or something and put a bit of water there for looks.

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

[​IMG]

5. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

No that would be a bad idea, map would be decided within 5 minutes. Silk I think I have a idea for the res, lets talk about it in irc later.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

[​IMG]

thats if the yellow zones are accesible, if not just put them behind them

edit:

arg ,i had no idea silk made a new pic

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Another suggestion:

Teams can go south for the 2x refinery. But it will be difficult to hold because enemy main base is near.
    Or teams can go north. There build the more easy to defend backward base for one refinery. If team manages to get to the other side and build base then they will have 2 refineries. But this will be more difficult to defend.

It would be helpful, if you can place a barrack of vf somewhere just to see the size.

[​IMG]

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

some shallow pools for infantry advancement and restriction of building space?

9. Z100000M

north shouldn't support anything more than just a 2 rax spots for each side imo

10. S U N R I S E

S U N R I S E Member

Don't make this map to high, or it will be an arty spam fest.

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I think you got that backwards. The height (not the lack of) is what stops arty going over the middle :|

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I think he means the ceiling. Ranged cannon can shoot higher than any terrain you're likely to encounter.

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

I made some progress.
    All textures in the map are custom made:

[​IMG]

14. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

way to go silk, lovein' it

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Holy shit i never realized the size difference between BE and NF Cv was that much :o
    Also, nice map :D

16. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

it's like down on a sugar ant and an army ant, lol

17. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

[​IMG]

I think each team should at least get their starting refinery (yellow), and have easy access to a secondary refinery (the blue opposite their base). Red refinery at the South doesn't have to be x2, but worth more to offset the North.

I figured if the North blue is worth less than the Red south, then it might be good to have some extra refineries (greys) for completeness. (Blue+ one grey = red?)

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

A good layout I think, but I would split the 2x up into 2 separate refs. 2x refineries aren't immediately obvious and I don't really like them, they tend to be a bit too landslidey, as in you either have it and a huge advantage, or don't.

Unless it's in a very hard to control area to provide incentive to take the area while not making it too hard (2 refs are harder to protect than one) I'd rather it wasn't there.

If you made the two rocks at the south a bit smaller and moved them apart, then put the refinery on an elevated platform so it can be easily shot at that'd make it more acceptable.

You could also have the valley dip a bit in the northern part of the south, move the rocks slightly further south, then make the valley rise to the level of a plateu steadily in the southern part of the south, so you get an outcropping in between the rocks which is accessed from the far south and overlooks the wider, northern passage. Might work better if you make the far southern part infantry only as well as make the plateu a no build zone except for the ref, at the very least prevent walls from being used there because it would make it too turtley, if you did restrict walls there it would be OK to allow buildings, because they could be shelled from range.

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Some trees were missing on the left side of the image btw.
    Ok so currently i'm leaning towards the layout below, with no x2 resource spots and a maximum of 10 refineries.

[​IMG]

20. Z100000M

the terrain will be totally flat?