ok heres an odd one (its about the rifleman MG)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by mrmeow, Apr 17, 2009.

1. mrmeow

mrmeow Member

i notice, that not too many people use the mg, its had its accuracy cone and stuff change over the years, but i dont mind that, i think its a pretty good gun in situations, one thing i always thought of, was having only the mg, not the rifles be capable of damaging vehicle armour (with an upgrade is what im suggesting)

so, maybe it could be possible to have a rifleman upgrade where they can damage vehicles with the heavy mg, but of course the damage would be small, but it would just be kind of cool to be ablke to relaly take out a jeep with an MG, which would be pretty realistic

2. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

this is as much as id like this prolly gonna be shot down

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

sounds like another regeneration and dmg upg skills

in short: worthless

why would you go prone anywhere near vehicles? are you a suicide bomber that wants to get under the treads to blow yourself up? :P

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Light vehicles could be made susceptable to small arms fire but I can't think of a damage model using integers which isn't overpowered and consistent.

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I see no need to change the current heavy MG.

The main problem with your suggestion is to balance it.
    If the heavy MG becomes a practical weapon to kill tanks, everybody will switch to rifleman because you also can kill infantry every easy.
    And if it will not do enough damage noone will choose the heavy MG.

6. Kolaris

Kolaris Member

Just make firing the HMG from a top-hatch be like firing while prone.

Voila, HMG is useful on larger maps and is now a mobile, not-necessarily campy gun.

7. Demented

Demented Member

You can survive without integers, you just won't see them.

Balance it around the idea that 4 engineers and 2 riflemen will be shooting at the tank, and that it should lose no more than one plate of plain armor every minute.

8. communism

communism poof

HMG is already a noob magnet, we don't want them firing at our tanks doing miniscule damage while they should be mowing down infantry

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I wasn't aware you could take half a point of health. Integers are used because floating point numbers are vastly more expensive on network traffic and processor speed.

10. ba'al

ba'al Member

Remove the HMG.
    People just lay down on their bellies and camp.

11. Demented

Demented Member

I'm pretty sure you only need to worry about complex floating point calculations in real-time.

Floating point variables themselves aren't such a problem so long as they don't need to be precise. We already store player positions and angles as floating points without too much trouble, and I reckon health already works the same way (even if we don't explicitly use it).

12. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

Yes remove all guns and just have one instagib rifle instead:rolleyes: who needs diversity...

13. ba'al

ba'al Member

You are a brain dead moron who's internet connection needs to be cut off.

If you want to lay down on your belly and do absolutely something for half an hour go ahead. I would just like to remind you that the reason the sniper was nerfed to oblivion was that idiots kept lying on their bellies and doing nothing for half an hour. And that empires is a rush game and has no room for camping.

14. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

Sniping with the Scout only became popular because the Scout had no other useful ability, the entire class was useless trough and trough...

Ive seen engineers build some turrets and not doing anything for half an hours aswell...

Should we nerf engineers too...

Or to keep it on topic ive seen riflemen camp on their bellies for entire games with their assault rifles... should we nerf riflemans rifles to... maby remove the ironsighting as it allows for zooming...

HMG dosent have zoom so you have to be relativly close to what your shooting, at one point the HMG could be used offensivly but we coulnt have that nosire so we are stuck with the bellycrawlers...

15. ba'al

ba'al Member

Oh wowe-gee, sarcasm!!

The sniper became popular because it was a sniper. No other fucking reason. People will always pick the sniper first out of all weapons in any game.
    And you will always find campers in any game, with any class, with any weapon, etc. And they will always be. it's a simple FPS thumb rule. But these useless campers are usually a minority of any games community, since they'll grow up and find out its pretty useless.
    The real problem with the sniper was that most people that used it didn't notice how useless they were. They saw a guy a mile away, shot him and proudly got a boner off how awesome they were. Seriously, I've seen a guy applying to an empires clan saying he was the best scout in the game.
    The devs fixed this by nerfing it to oblivion, and I hope they will remove it completely by 2.24.
    Unfortunately the problem wasn't fixed.
    The mg, the prone button, the dig in skill... they all just screamCAAAAAMP at these idiots.
    So instead of having a camping minority whos members grow out of camping as they see it's useless as most games. We have an ever growing majority who wont grow out of camping because they think they are actually useful.
    And you said that the mg is not a good long range weapon. That's bullshit. You can fire +-75 bullets without reloading and with low recoil, spraying the enemy to hell. And since your prone and probably have dig in you are fucking impossible to kill.

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

In 2.23, I crippled a base's ability to function by shooting people dead from the bridge by their base in mvalley with the scout rifle. The scout rifle is very effective and the only issue is the players that can't use it. Right now, it's very fairly balanced.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  17. Dan (FangZandith)

Dan (FangZandith) Member

ba'al, a little less rage, eh babe?

You're getting your panties in a knot over something that really isn't a big deal. I RARELY see riflemen using the MG unless it's an inf map, where it becomes entirely useful.

I think the MG needs a slight buff, such as (as has been said before) change it's firing accuracy to prone while in the hatch of a vehicle (it makes sense, and it's not like it's EASY to shoot people from up there. In fact, it's easier to be shot AT)

Allow zoom on the HMG, lowering the firing rate a bit but increasing accuracy a bit. The MG was beast as hell before 2.2, it's all I played with. Then it's accuracy cone got widened, and it became much less useful at any kind of range. Yeah, 75 bullets to kill one inf a mile a way. That's really a useful long range weapon man.

I think you're just blowing this way out of proportion ba'al, I just don't see nearly anyone use this weapon.

As for the mg doing damage to vehicles, yeah it's a cool concept, but I can't see it being executed well at all..