Empires 2.23 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by Kylegar, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Jonat

Jonat Member

Funny, cause i've killed dozens of tanks in one match. Given, i was flanking with stickies. Might be harder as a grennie.

2. thetim

thetim Member

Grenadier's RPG is next to useless against vehicles now. Mines, less so - although I've taken to dropping four one on top of another (looks like just one) to guarantee a kill.

3. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

well, I hadn't really played much 2.23 much, but I just had 3 matches (played BE every time) and it was the most infuriating experience ever, any fun has been lost from playing BE. If the teams are anything like balanced there is no way that BE can win. The reason for this seems to be that a) reactive is invincible and b) LTs are too good.

And I don't mean that LTs are too good against AFVs, cause that's a bit of a No Shit Sherlock, I mean that 1 LT driven by someone who I might recognise, but not nearly at what I'd call clan level, can take me out in A HEAVY no trouble. like, fuck. It was a dual LR reflective ADV coolant heavy, and I didn't stand a chance. He knew enough about the game to stick straight on to my side and not move, and I didn't stand a chance. Like, I could not fight back in any way.

Therefore, I recommend a remodel of the light tank. I know this seems a bit strange, because the new AFV model is gonna come along and fix this at surface level, but this is a massively broken game mechanic. Both the new AFV and the new LT should be of similar size, around half way between an AFV and a light, perhaps a bit smaller. Alternatively, you can remodel everything else to bit a bit smaller so that they are able to hit these new small tanks. Bit of effort though, that.

Also, to those that say, 'LT is fun to use, just balance everything else' I reply with, 'Everything is absolutely hellish to use against a LT, be more utilitarian, bitch!'

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

There would be 85% less complaints about 2.23 if there wasn't a PUG ongoing, where the strategy of one team consists in forum whining 24/7.

5. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I left the pug, there was just so much hatred going around I couldn't stand it. I didn't even get any good games. Compared to the sort of play you see in a scrim, the PUG is total rubbish.

6. Jonat

Jonat Member

you know, some games actually keep the whole "Larger ships/tanks/vehicles can't hit smaller ones, because they're designed to counter other large ships/tanks/whatever."

Infantry or other smaller vehicles should be used on LTs, they should be complimenting heavy tanks, not used because they're so shit in comparison.

7. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

oh, do you mean the jeep or the non-existant BE light tank

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i think he means the afv, i sometimes call the afv "be light tank" even

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

AFVs have a even harder time because their turrets are higher than Heavy Tanks.

10. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

Query:

Testers test the newest versions that are being developed for the next release right? Then how come this latest release is so darn chaotic and more so, how come that this whole armor/LT issue went from bad to worse?

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Two reasons:

1) Not enough testers testing, and

2) Last minute additions that were not tested.

12. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

Well from my perspective that then translates to:

Dev team sure have some major issues that ought to be fixed. The whole Empires development isn't really too impressive these days compared to many other free-time mods out there these days if you ask me.

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Several of the team members have exams these days, others are busy with real life. We're also kinda understaffed in some areas, so you can't blame us for not being as active as other mods.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Its a 2.22 to 2.23 change ... nothing special what did you expect?
    Tell me which other mod out their gets superawesome content with
    a patch every month ... -.-

EDIT: half of the arguments of the discussion about the changes tell me that ive played a different game all the time...

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

maybe it has something to do with your sig mayama? :p

16. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

I wasn't talking about the time it takes for a patch to be released but rather the state of it. There are many mods out there where the dev-team have real life, exams etc going on which makes their releases just as rare if not rarer, but most of them at least deliver proper releases.

Granted, Empires is different in many ways, and as such I think it would be way better off if it released small patches so that each change is tested thoroughly when made. This would probably end up saving time and frustration in the long run. My 2 cents anyway.

17. thaile

thaile Member

Well you have to think of it like this. The current dev team is not the orignal dev team or even saw the code before. They have only been working on this for a couple of months. The first few months were spent porting to the OB and getting use to the code. Now they're adding all the features and changes that they feel are needed to make empires great. I say give them another half year or so, at the rate their going at, to get all the major changes done then you'll have your proper releases.

18. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Um, actually, most of the current devs are the original devs. It's mainly the coders that are new blood.

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Tell me one HL2 mod team that delivers bug-free and quarterly updates. I can't think of any. Although i hope that future releases of Empires have a tripple checked full install.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  20. Sirex

Sirex Member

Dizzyzone freballed this version.