2.23 strats

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by CobaltBlue, Mar 14, 2009.

1. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

I think this will be a fun thread where we can all discuss the unilateral decisions each team now has at there disposal.

Now... I thought long and hard about it, and... I can't think for the life of me what NF would research.:rolleyes:

NF:
    1. electrical
    2. reactive
    3. 3phase
    4. mechanical
    5. upgraded chassis (M2)
    6. tracking
    7. guided
    8. APC spawning
    9. <team choice>
    I think there will actually be some real debate about what BE does however. Reactive is definitely over-powered now, so getting reactive is important. Although, even plain armor is good enough now for any vehicle to ignore everything else and take out those expensive raxes. I'm thinking rushing heavies will be a winning strategy. Also increasing armor per plate gives the greatest advantage to light armors like*shutters* absorbent.

BE:
    1. Mechanical
    2. APC spawning
    3. Upgraded Chassis (M2)
    4. Chemistry
    5. Improved Detonation
    6. Explosive Shells
    7. Advanced Chassis
    8. Heavy Chassis
    9. Heat Transfer
    10. Absorbent
    11. Coolant Engine
    Other suggested research paths?

2. Sirex

Sirex Member

BE:
    Physic reflective to counter missile, then DU to kill reactive mk2 light tanks, du is good vs reactive? Then range cannon arty spam win.

3. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

I was trying ranged cannon earlier on NF ultra-lights to pretty much no effect, so you can remove that as a choice.

I actually think it is best right now for BE to go EE too. The armor is amazing, 3-phase is still incredibly good, UML gives a solid damage output above normal cannons, and you can transition right to level 3 turrets, because they are going to be breaking through your lines more often now and defense is far more important.

4. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

BE can not plan for MKII, they are just not effective. They can still plan for heavies though, which seem to be better than they were against lights. also DU seems to be a bit of a joke, with all armours buffed it does next to no damage. HEMG is still quite effective.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The best strategy for BE to counter EE super lights:
    physics - reflective armor - fission engine - ranged cannon - upgraded chassis(M2)

At this point you have M2 afvs with 3 plates of reflective armor on every side with ranged cannon. Certainly not better than the NF lights but good enough to survive and hold ground.

Depending on the map and the game situation you can either go straight for dual ranged heavies or meds / arties. Whatever chassis you choose next, ranged and reflective will serve you well.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

give MKII a 2 slot MG >.<

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

NF:
    Reactive
    3phase
    Guided
    MKII's
    Win

8. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

M2s are very OP, but they are also expensive.
    I think M2s could make NF choke if they do it too soon. This is definitely a winning strategy for the new Mittoes though. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  9. yobbo

yobbo Member

BE

-physics
    -reflective
    -mech
    -gas turbine
    -upgraded chasis
    -ranged cannon
    -heavies

you can mix around the order of engine/cannon/chassis. Or go for fission reactor because its cheaper and faster to tech too, it's just that it sucks for heavies. So you have to go for adv coolant as well.

Just delete mediums from the game while you're at it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  10. ba'al

ba'al Member

Why gas turbine when you can get fission?

11. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Why get fission when you can just poop in your chassis?

12. communism

communism poof

You guys even used fission since the new patch?
    It was always a good engine and it got buffed afaik

13. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I haven't command BE very often. So just a basic questions:
    Why research Extended Range Cannon cannons? They only have 60 damage instead of 40 damage (standard canon).
    Why not research first High Explosive Cannon?

14. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

because its next to reflective,you dont need to open a new tree.

15. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Also they carry significantly more total damage with their 40 shots and have a faster projectile (which means even more damage). In theory if you hit every time the thing does more damage than HE.

16. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Thanx.

As I read the wiki I'm wondering, why plasma cannon is used so rare.
    By comparison with the other 2 slot canons plasma is not really bad. You have less damage per shot, but you also have only a cycle time of 1.0.

This damage can be done in 6 seconds:
    Ranged Cannon: 240
    High Explosive Cannon: 225
    Plasma Cannon: 270

And with plasma you also have to chance to overheat the enemy (I also like the sound and effect :D).

Ranged Cannon (Physics > Projectile Physics > Extended Range Cannon)
    Cost: 50
    Damage: 60
    Clip Size: 40
    Cycle Time: 1.5
    Weight: 70
    Heat: 14
    Speed: 3300
    Explosion Radius / Force: 300 / 100

High Explosive Cannon (Chemistry > Improved Detonation Compounds > Explosive Shells)
    Cost: 80
    Damage: 75
    Clip Size: 24
    Cycle Time: 2.0
    Heat: 16
    Speed: 3000
    Explosion Radius / Force: 400 / 200

Plasma Cannon (Physics > Superheated Material Physics > Plasma Cannon Projectile)
    Cost: 50
    Damage: 45
    Clip Size: 30
    Cycle Time: 1.0
    Heat: 14
    Speed: 3100

17. Apogee

Apogee Member

I'm experimenting with Plasma. Plasma cannons w/ coolant and abs steamrolled NF one game, but it took a while to get to it.

Tried plasma MG on APCs - got abs/coolant first, which was probably a bad idea, as by the time research was done we were on the brink of being overwhelmed. I figure massing plasma MG APCs will negate the NF LT speed advantage, and let grens pick them apart.

18. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

SIP, there's an advantage to burst damage with HE and ranged cannons... if you are attacking frequently, and your hits are spread out over all facings, you will kill more slowly than if you are focusing on one plate. It's easier to focus on one plate if you're using a higher damage cannon with a slower rate of fire. Not only that but the splash from HE makes it better at killing turrets, infantry, and in some cases, buildings.

That said I'm not opposed to trying plasma cannons in a game but I think you need people to work together for it to work. I tested some 1v1 with plasma and it fails miserably unless you're using a heavy tank.

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

safffffffffffffffffff

20. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

This is a poor assessment because it does not take into account a few factors.

Explosion size is basically close range accuracy. Heat per unit damage is important. Speed based damage is important.

Lets take a normal speed to damage modifier of .002

Ranged Cannon
    Damage: 60+.002*3300=67 damage/1.5=134/3=45 damage per second and 9.3 heat per second.

High Explosive Cannon (Chemistry > Improved Detonation Compounds > Explosive Shells)
    Damage: 75+.002*3000=81/2=40.5 damage per second and 8 heat per second
    Explosion Radius / Force: 400 / 200

Plasma Cannon (Physics > Superheated Material Physics > Plasma Cannon Projectile)
    Damage: 45+3100*.002=51.5 damage per second and 14 heat per second

The real indicators of damage as the absolute output factor is heat
    Ranged Cannon: 4.83 damage/heat
    HE Cannon: 5.06 damage/heat
    Plasma: 3.6 damage/heat

Meanwhile ranged cannon has high range for sieging and HE cannon has a good blast radius. If you accommodate for the additional heat, plasma has
    between a 12.87 damage/net heat gained/second in a super-ideal setting and a poor case of about 5 damage/net heat gained/second at 50% accuracy. Meanwhile it is easier for players to mess up using plasma and get in a bad spot, only is good for a single target, and does not do well against infantry, or long distance structures. For newbies using it, it only has a 30 second maxammo lifespan.

Overall it isn't like plasma is clearly useless, but it isn't great either. If players have poor accuracy it gets worse, and the higher rate of fire means that for each moment you spend aiming the worse you are harming your maximum damage output. In an ideal setting this means plasma is probably the best weapon, but most players are poor so the low accuracy and maximum damage will leave them running out of ammo before the job is done and the high heat per second will make them more likely to overheat and leave themselves vulnerable.

Summary: Against an enemy tank that you are consistently hitting plasma has the best net damage per second, but against anything else it is likely worse.