server crashing just about every map

Discussion in 'Support' started by CobaltBlue, Mar 15, 2009.

1. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Anyone know why all the servers are crashing so much?

2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

maybe its old scripts and writte-protected old maps that wheren'd overwritten after the update? maybe its the update itself?

3. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Define "all the servers".

Nachos works. Ass kicking server works. Emp4All has bugs, but that's another story entirely.

I haven't heard any other complaints about servers.

4. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

Yeah. I played:
    Nachos & Monet' today 2-3 times this morning while playing although not recently
    Nachos & Juicebox today which continuously crashed every... Maybe 25 minute or less, until we all just stopped joining.
    E4A last night which crashed about every 3-4 maps
    [edit]
    VIPER today so far has crashed twice within 25 minutes of one another, and 25 minutes from when the server got active I would guess.
    Jekotian Battlefront JPL got a crash durring clan practice, idk which map.
    [/edit]

P.S. Yeah, I thought it odd no one was bringing up all the crashing, which is why I posted even though I don't own a server.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

VIPERS been up all day w/o a crash and we've had a constant flow of 25-30 players, but last two maps crashed right before level change. Canyon and Duststorm.

Any idea how to fix this?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i hear "canyon" and "duststorm" every time this comes up... maybe its the maps

7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I took canyon and duststorm off the mapcycle and mapvote txts. So I will see if anymore crashes occur w/o these two.

8. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Yeah we know about the crashes, we've been fiddling with the server to figure out what's causing these crashes. Will post back once we figure something out.

9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Maps went full cycle w/o canyon and duststorm on VIPER and no crashes at this point.

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Nachos has crashed on every map except canyon, looking at crash records seems to crash about every 4-8 maps, a few happened right back to back, we took out a few plugins such as parachutes and it seems to lower the rate of crashing.

11. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

DrummerX assures me that Nacho's problems are SM-related. Bitchslap hasn't told me much. Napalm is apparently not doing 2.23 anymore. No offense Viper, but I haven't talked to you because forums are too slow. Chasing down server admis has gotten me nowhere.

Considering the vanilla testing servers had and still have no problems, I'll assume that all problems are plugin related unless somebody says otherwise. If any admins want me to look at crashdumps or discuss issues, I'm almost always on IRC and steamfriends.

12. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

VIPER has been up 2 days straight w/o a crash except fopr one earlier today and none since, since I took canyon and duststorm off the map cycle. I am not sure what caused that one today, could have just been my server hiccuping , not sure, I do not use SM as admin but use it for 4 other SM plugins. Parachute, !profile, and !id and SM radio (!id which hasnt worked for me since I installed it for some reason, wish it would its a great idea.) My admin mod and the SM plugins I am using do not seem to cause an issue so far.
    I would appreciate adding you to my steam friends but don't know your steam name. Mine is Viper_Vicki

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  13. Hot Button

Hot Button Member

Ive got the same problem with my server,(WARFACTORY V2.23);
    It crashed on every mapchange at the end of the round, it drives me crazy and thats why i have decided to take the server offline.

@Empire Developerteam:
    Can u guys fix that problem and/or release a working Linux version because i want to reinstall my lovely Debian on the server;

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

We can't do much if you won't give us crash dumps or core files.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

lolwut. I showed you the test server crashing like 5 times over with the engine IVP error, that was stock.

16. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

If you could have provided any reason for me to suspect the Empires code, the problem could have been diagnosed. From what you showed me, the code was a sanitized hashmap written by Valve, and it is so completely not our problem that Valve doesn't provide a crashdump FOR A REASON. You know as well as I there was no way to debug that.

Also considering the persistent issues all your servers (including non-Empires) were having that would cause you to suggest a complete format of the hard drives, I can't really take anything that happened to the test server at face value.

But to be fair, let me clarify: I set up numerous other test servers, both dedicated and listen, and none of them encountered this or any other crash under Vanilla configuration.

17. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Since yesterday morning, Nachos hasn't crashed due to SM or anything related to the mod. If the server crashed and i didn't catch it, it was just a normal crash.

For the pass 2 days, Nachos hasn't crashed due to anything related to the mod or SM. Looks like we're good now.

18. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Did you modify anything for it not to crash? I still haven't added canyon and duststorm and we have been crash free for 3 days except for one early yesterday which could have just been a normal crash..nothing due to empires etc

19. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

we never crashed on specific maps to begin with. Coffee created a linux build for us to sigscan to get our special sourcemod plugins working.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Nachos was crashing all the time before 2.23 even came out. It crashed almost every time I played for a few weeks before the release.