Let it be known...

Discussion in 'General' started by manbeef, Mar 14, 2009.

1. manbeef

manbeef Member

2.23 is out. :p

2. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I was on Nacho's and unknown console told us "DO NOT UPDATE". I forget why. Why?

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

the rebellion.

Don't update, its for the best.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Empires 2.23: Now with subliminal messages that want you make join the US Army.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

because there is no linux server thing atm so it doesnt work with SM ... its announce that this will be fixed soon

think its no evil plot against the devs :D

6. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Please Guys Help Me! How To Unupdate?

7. manbeef

manbeef Member

that's good. I was kinda worried there for a second.

8. Straevaras

Straevaras Member

That just hurts...

9. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

barracks 400 res is prolly the most fail part of this patch IMO. really going to hurt certain maps, specially low res maps like canyon and stuff "lets see do we expand north or west? choose one and go cause we can only afford 1 rax in this... ....OMG BUILD THE RAX WE CANT AFFORD ANOTHER ONE FFS!" really rather pointless IMO cause you want to keep the front line constant and mobile, players HATE running across the whole map (run 2 min spend 5 seconds dieing = not fun) and now they're going to have to do it far more often.

However the vehicle handling is fucking fantastic again. hurray no more dieing to shitty vehicle handling. This alone can save this patch probably, its like 2.12 all over again, which is great cause vehicles handling was great then.

the MKII's dont feel balanced at all though giving AFVs 2 cannons will never be used where as light tanks will use their dual MLs all the time. think about it if you get an upgraded chassis what do you stack(say you get mediums) well you get 2 standard MLs and 1 standard cannon even for mediums, 2 cannons is useless and overheat fail, so giving NF light tanks these means they will probably use dual MLs and be even stronger where as BE AFV MKII will never use the dual cannon slot cause basically if you have a 2 slot cannon you have mediums, and if your going for heavys you might not even use a dual slot cannon and it becomes even more useless. NF getting missiles for their light tanks early(aka NF and electrical or bio tree both are common, fast, easy to get and both have missiles) is quite practical since you can easily use they missiles on NF heavys. The research paths for 2 slot cannons are alot more difficult to go down both for research time and use.

I definatly disagree with some of these cooky ass ideas about making barracks more expensive so people have to choose between upgrading and expanding. I mean in Empires if you've played it before you expand to make more money to research and develop with. Expensive barracks will simply mean a definite slow death to all but the most experienced comms.

Though in summary I would say this patch is beneficial to empires in general for the fact that vehicles will now be fun to fight with again, I didnt realize how much I missed the 2.12 vehicles again until I started driving around in this 2.23 patch. This alone has made me feel excited to play empires again(where as 2.2 dumbed down the fun factor). I think we'll all enjoy this patch alot more than some of the previous ones.

see you on the field.

EDIT: oh ya and on the MKII all it says in vehicle menu is "no description yet" you might wana change that

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  10. yobbo

yobbo Member

hmm I like all the changes except the 400res for barracks (and the mk 2 lt, lets hope it not cheap).

The expensive barracks now makes them a huge investment in early game and also limits the early game map control ability by halving it. Also risky fwd raxes now are so much more risky so this will just make expansion more conservative /slower - and I can see apc spawns tech becoming much more useful now too.

11. jragbir

jragbir Member

keef you cant put 2 std mls on mkII lights, you can put bio ml, uml and guided/homing on them. but nonetheless they are still overpowered due to electrical engineering having everything needed in one place.

also scout sabbing is a force to be reckoned with now. buildings take crazy damage from it :S

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

ffffffffffffffffff i wanna be home (im at school now)

13. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

YOBBO YOU FUGGING GENIUS.
    VF = 400
    RAX = 400
    APC = 300 ish.
    radar is 600 but you'd get that anyway
    APC spawns is like 120 or sommat, but it can be used for rushes too.
    therefore not using barracks at all and just using APCs will pay for itself after 4 of them. Also, what with buffed plain and sucky building health, this may well be a considerably more defendable option - you even get guns and can hide it with 4 walls!!
    so basicly, barracks no longer have any purpose in nearly all maps!

14. o_O

o_O Member

I dont get why the health of everything was increased though. It seems like everyone with an opinion felt like tank combat was already too slow. This will give people more chance to just run away and repair, but people smart enough to do that usually did and dumb people still wont.

MKII's sound fun, although I haven't played with them yet. It doesn't really change the balance issues though. Having an HE AFV is nice, but BE could get salvo bio nuke cannons on them and it wont matter if they cant point it down to hit the light tanks glued to their side. Maybe AFV MKII's should be able to look down, although then you would have to take the Fail out of their name and just call them armored vehicles.

I do like the 400 res raxes. Whether this will mean more strategic base building/attacking or just more walking before you die we will see though.

Anyway, cant wait to try it, crazy updates are alot more fun then no updates :D

15. dizzyone

MKII's werent added to fix issues, they were added for diversity and to close the gap between low and mid tier.

And thank you for that comment, it just made my day.
    That's exactly what I used to think and yes the new update is crazy and insane and what else. We put a lot of thought into this release, keep that in mind as you might be pleasantly surprised by some of the changes.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about mkII with mediums too? to close the gap between mediums and heavies? and make the medium of the be rox the sox

17. dizzyone

Those are planned and will hopefully be included once we got the MKII stuff worked out, as well as the light vs afv issue.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

awesome, i tried it out a bit and 2.2.3 has some pretty kewl stuff, positive on general with me

19. OuNin

OuNin Member

Adding more vehicle tiers will just lead to strained research.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You forgot to change the health max and weight cap of the MKII to at least match the MKI :( (afv has a new acronym).