emp_homeland_b1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flounder, Sep 30, 2008.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about a nice skybox visual effect of bombardments int eh distance to give the "city under war" mood (because currently, due to the light and the quietness, the city "looks" dull and dead

look for the city 17 effects later on in the game of half life 2 when the rebels are escaping the rubble of city 17

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Checking statistics for B6, its 12 wins BE, 9 wins NF.

3. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

replace some roads with destroyed buildings. so your driving through buildings instead of arround them.

4. flounder

flounder Member

Next version will remove a road that allows BE to bumrush the NF comm. Unfortunately, NF may always be at a dissadvantage on this map because its big ass comm will always have trouble on the narrow streets.

Thanks for those stats. I didn't even know you had records of them. I really appreciate you guys hosting my beta versions. This map would have died long ago without your help.

5. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

No worries, I've got Revive.

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

I JUST REMEMBERED SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT, THUS THE ALLCAPS:

THE FADEDISTANCES ON THE TREES ARE EXTREMELY LOW. THEY VERY VISIBLY FADE OUT, AND THIS REALLY LOOKS BAD WHEN YOU CAN STILL SEE INFANTRY AND TANKS RUNNING AROUND, BUT THE TREES ARE INVISIBLE. PLEASE FIX. D: D: D:

<filler>

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

No problem, its a really fun map so, I enjoy playing it, it is in our cycle full time.

8. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

Flounder,you get my applause for makeing one of the first city maps that looks like a city. *clap clap*

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

thats a first

10. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Shadows also looks pretty city like, but the part where NF starts look somewhat "out of place"

District looks horrible for a city map -.-

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

How the hell does district LOOK horrible for a city map? It looks like someone pulled a few city blocks off of streets of fire. I don't see you saying SoF looks bad. district plays bad for the most part, but looks great for what its supposed to be.

12. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

It would play great if it was part of a much bigger city and hammer wuldnt be at it's brush limit.
    It plays horribly. It look awfull because it makes no sence for a city. No cars, no dead people. It look like it has been build 1 day ago, untouched.
    That map needs stuff that makes it look like it is blown apart by artillery, bombers, and mortars.
    This way it looks too perfect.

And SoF looks like crap, plays like crap, and is crap and I am glad it isn't working for this version.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Streets of fire and district look homogeneous

14. flounder

flounder Member

Minor progress update today.

15. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Streets of fire is made entirely of concrete and district is made entirely of concrete and tin cans.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

visual styles are not a measurement of mapping qualities, district is the finest map empires has on the case of optimization, lay out planning and graphical design

its just too bad this mod doesn't really honor it by it playing a game type that just feels stiff and inappropriate but thats not the mappers problem, its the mod changing "rules" every 2 or so updates...

17. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

Whats the the point of a map that includes only a third of the features empires has to offer?Takeing away vehicles and bases from Empires is like takeing away zombies from zombie panic or the commies from red alert 3.It just doesnt work.

optimization The map maker created the excess to be optimized,so isnt that a bad thing?
    layout planning Well thats a no brainer considering the map is near symmetrical.
    graphical design Its the exact opposite. The buildings dont seem to have any purpose or utility, the roads are barren of detail and the architecture looks like the illegitimate love-child of tin and concrete.

I agree with the second part of your post.

18. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

hah, like there is any custom empires content to take advantage of? the pool of mapping textures empires has to take advantage of is slim and in short supply. You also need SOME maps to go conquest mode with all infantry, I'd go crazy playing empires if we didnt.

bleh im not even going to answer anything else this post, you obviously dont know anything about mapping.

19. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

And It seems evident that you know nothing about Empires.

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

hah

<filler>