Commander voice chat control

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by o_O, Feb 5, 2009.

1. o_O

o_O Member

When the commander pushes their voice chat button, all other players have their voice chat shut off until the commander releases the button. Basically, when the commander is talking, everyone else is auto STFU'd. In large games, everyone tends to be talking at the same time, this wont fix that, but it would let people hear the comm when they say something. Also, there should probly be some little icon to let people know this is happening, like the mute symbol with an X through it.

The only issues I see are
    1) voting out a bad or griefer comm would be harder because they could silence dissent. Then again, abusing this would piss people off and you could still explain how to vote out the comm through text.
    2) the comm could, and likely would mess with people by chopping up their voice every time they talk. Then again, the comm can also wall stuff in, toss turrets in front of speeding tanks, and grief into the water.

Pros: -makes it easier to hear the commander, even if lots of people are talking
    -much simpler then separate squad and global chat channels (which is a good idea, but more complex, and we will start to run out of buttons to bind things to lol)
    -no need to mute people, or yell at people to shut up so your team can hear the commander
    -commander could silence annoying people ^^

Cons: -might not be possible, might not be easy.
    -abuse by commanders who like talking or hate particular players?
    -harder to organize mass vote outs or votebans of griefer commanders.

Alternatives: -check the suggestions forum, theres lots of ideas for squad channels and what not

2. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

no thanks far easy to abuse... comm could just keep their voice button down at all times... and noone would be able to speak at all... and if you as comm want to say something important... just f***ing yell in your mic. that what I do if I ahve something important to say

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

abusability is not a valid complaint against a new com feature

4. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Oh yes it is. I like the idea, but I think it will cause more problems than it solves.

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Yes, please

Could be abused, but not a good reason to not have it. If you made it a separate voice chat (like have normal voice chat and then comm voice chat that only works when in the CV) then I think it would be great.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Would it still cut people off? In theory it's a good idea, but in practice, I think it might make things worse. What if the commander is using comm chat and there's a stream of APCs heading straight for the CV? There's no way to inform the comm besides text chat, and most commanders hardly look at it.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Because commanders usually give multi minute lectures? It is significantly less abuseable then recycle or suiciding the CV. Really comms usually only say things in 5 second or at most 10 second bursts the likely hood of that being gamebreaking because his team couldn't communicate something to him is incredibly low.

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Then that means the commander is bad.
    Commanders should have the ability to completely mute a player voice wise unless an other commander gets in.

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Just because thats how it is in North Korea doesn't mean that is how it should be in empires. Cmon FFS like every suggesting you have is like making empires more like your home country.

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

HSM + Rage.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

<blows whistle then tosses flag> Un-necessary roughness! 10 Yard penalty!

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Man with all the "Target killed. 15 targets remaining" spam it's pretty hard to notice people using chat. I keep my eye on it, but it usually gets flushed away in a flurry of "target destroyed" spam.

13. [SG]GummiBear

[SG]GummiBear Member

yeah you often esily get like 10+ of those in a row...

14. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I disagree. I've seen excellent commanders forget to look at the text chat. It's just lower on the priority list than voice chat, because the commander has to divert their attention to the text.

I suppose.