emp_tropicvendetta

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arklansman

arklansman Member

Smaller displacements = more detail. ;)

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

WUUT YOU MIGHT WON THIS TIME BUT THE WAR IS NOT OVER D:

3. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

By the way, did the mapper of emp_mvalley use a model for the center cliff/rock/basin thing? It looks too detailed to be displacement work, even with the displacement power increased.

4. Omneh

Omneh Member

Yes.

<filler>

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Yupp, you can find it when looking at the models in hammer.
    <postcount+1>

6. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

that post of the displacments was essentially a test to see how well a 'ribbed' effect would work out, and I was POINTING out the problems with doing like that in those pictures.

I'm just going to start this out by saying I have a shitty computer. Therefore one of my main concerns when adding things to this map has been performance. Because its not really the one big thing that kills your map performance, its all the little fuckups and unessessary things that kick you in the nuts. We've been budgeting our resources on when is the minimum required to work and look decent. We could make all the terrain a higher power of displacement, but is it nessessary? no it isnt. We could make the mountains displacement a higher power, but its not nessessary. We could COVER the mountain in bushes and trees, but its not nessessary. I mean shit I still wana be able to actually play on this map by the time were done with it. empires is already anti performance type of mod so you dont want to throttle the stuff down.

I'm leavin this at that, gtg to class.

7. communism

communism poof

It reminds me of my city, with our gorgeous beach. Am I right shandy?

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i stand corrected, please accept my apolagises

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I thought mvalley was a height map generator?

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

The butte in the middle isn't.

11. communism

communism poof

Make flag 6 people, flag cap is basically the killing of the cv. Make it so one full squad cant cap it alone and it needs a complete domination of the opposing team to pull a cap off, 6 people would also give the enemy team a chance to chute down and retake it if they lost all their forward spawns

12. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

hmm, while it is quite tempting it would make small pop games virtually unplayable. I think were going to cap at 3 peeps tops, the alternative is for us to make the cap time longer. (I kinda wana time how long it will take me to, a: notice the alarm, b: killspawn and actually spawn in the blimp, and c: to run onto the flag without useing chutes) and perhaps set the cap time to that and a little over.

tested it, with very little sprinting(noobs runnin) its 60 seconds to get onto the flag, for full bar sprinting its almost 50 seconds to killspawn and everything and get to the SAM.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  13. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Most people wont even killspawn immediatly.

It should take longer to capture...

14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well I gave 5 seconds for alarm notice and a 10 second spawn time. And you shouldn't HAVE to depend on comming from the blimp you SHOULD have a barracks nearby, this is for emergency they ninja the barracks, killspawn blimp and save.

15. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Held a private alpha 3 test last night (thanks to all who participated).

Needless to say, the response was great. ;)

Some people even had fun.

Turns out that I compiled a3 with a few important visgroups off (that contained playerclips/no-build zones, etc.), so I'm glad we discovered that.

There's also an issue with all of the new rocks we used (that were from Lost Coast). They don't clip in multiplayer, so you can walk right through them and drive through them as well. I forgot to screenshot it, but I tricked Keef into driving a heavy through one. I made up some BS about how I wanted to test a particular rock. I'd placed 8 mines there. Needless to say, the rock was broken as I'd expected, and I think [LoDgullible]Keef will think twice next time, lol.

Beta 2 might be a week or two away - but don't hold us to it. It could be sooner/later. There's quite a bit of changes that need to be made now. I may just open up the b1 vmf, select & copy all of the prop_static rocks, and move them into b2 and get rid of the Lost Coast rocks, unless we find a better solution. Decompiling and recompiling the models to work will be painstaking, and it's kind of unfortunate because those Lost Coast rocks looked so great and went well with the mountains. Empires needs more content - more props, more foliage, more rocks, more textures. I look forward to seeing what people come out with in the coming years.

16. Omneh

Omneh Member

Oh shit.

I swapped all the old rocks for lostcoast ones in the new Insurrection. Damn damn damn damn....

17. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

The strange thing is that they work fine in "Create a Server," but in multiplayer they will allow players to walk & drive through them.

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

Hiding in rocks is a legitimate strategy. Only issue are mines, but think of them as IEDs. : p

It forces players to contemplate whether they should travel through some rocky area at the risk of an ambush/minefield.

19. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

"Wants shark"

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya sorry just we just havnt really had a chance to work on it yet, busy busy bees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.