emp_tropicvendetta

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by John Shandy`, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

How about some lava flow?

that would also mean making those mountain volcanoes.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

whats wrong with that :3 :3 :3

-----------------------------

Back on topic, the map is very chokepointish.
    Its because its so damn hard to get a vehicle
    from the west to the east and vise versa.
    You need like 5 walls to block all vehicle movement
    to the other side.
    So it plays more like slaughtered with some infantry ways.

3. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

What?

So far, the only way I have seen it played, was a solid line of battle, cut diagonally across the map. The Upper path is almost always in the hands of the NF, and the lower in the hands of the BE. As the fight goes on, both sides are trying to push through the chokepoints, and the one to push out of their path usally cuts off the other side. The best part is, vehicle factorys are almost always placed on the side that the teams blimps are on, so, it's an awesome fight.

Really, the layout is amazing

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

The map is more similar to mvalley or duststorm than slaughtered imo.

5. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

That's my feeling too, though I only played it once. As BE, it felt like we were just building one spawling mass of a base across a plain and getting overrun by LTs and APCs because we didn't make the base discrete with walls. I feel this map is a throwback to traditional RTS maps where turtle-base building is a good idea. Lots of walls to block vehicles, and gates to create turret chokepoints is a good strategy on this map, methinks.

Funny, it's a mountainous island, but a feels more plains-like than most maps.

6. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Thanks everyone. Keep playing it and let the feedback keep rolling in. It's very appreciated.

If any more mountains are placed, base building will be limited and vehicle combat will be limited to only a few specific areas.

I haven't seen many teams try to setup blockades in the center canyons - doing so would force the enemies to either break through or opt for sending their vehicles slowly through the gauntlets of trees in the NW & SE - you -can- get most vehicles through, it just slows you down, which is the purpose of those gauntlets of trees. In this map, you're meant to define your own choke points, and there are more than several places you can do that.

I'm glad that most people seem to be enjoying the map. It may not be perfect, but I've enjoyed not seeing many people complain about it non-stop, or rtv away from it. If everyone at least finds it tolerable, that means it's off to a good start.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Error after installing

Hi,
    I just installed emp_tropicvendetta_b1 and I believe I put everything in the correct folder. When I change level on my server through hslw it changes to the map. But when I go ot join my server it starts downloading and says missing map maps/emp_tropicvendetta_b1.bsp But the bsp file is in empires/maps/emp_tropicvendetta_b1.bsp
    This is the first time I am installing a custom map for empires, please help me find out what I did wrong.

Thank you,
    Vicki

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

You may be having this problem. I believe emp_tropicvendetta_b1.bsp is over 16mb so you'll have to up you're server's net_maxfilesize (to something larger than then bsp filesize).

9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thank you :) worked like a charm.

On my CS:S server I have a fast download server so when people need to download large maps it goes very fast, am I able to put the same configuration (which is sv_downloadurl "url") in my server.cfg for empires to so I can have fast map downloads on my empires server as well?

Thanks,
    Vicki

10. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Yes, you can do that Vicki. However, the BSP file needs to be BZ2 zipped when hosted on Fast DL (everything else is left normal). You can use the free archiver called 7zip to do so.

How do you like the map thus far?

11. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

It is incredbile! You did a great job you are very talented! Thank you for all your hard work
    and thank you for the info on the fast download server :)

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

lvl3's are breaking such a good map..

anyways ,gj

13. LifesLemons

LifesLemons Member

The SAM site.
    The blimp.
    The island.

Shandy.
    You did an awesome job.

14. No. 6

No. 6 Member

I played it for the first time today and for some reason the layout just WORKS.

15. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. Keep in mind, I couldn't have done it alone. [LoDw]Keef was there with me all the way.

I do have a few more things to address in Beta 2, regarding the SAM sites and etc.

@Z100000M, What have your experiences been with level 3 turrets? On the rounds I've played thus far, I've not seen a whole lot of use of level 3s. I've seen a comm do it here or there, but I've not yet witnessed a map-breaking use of turrets. There's little I can do to moderate what a commander does with upgraded turrets.

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

LVL3 turrets dont do jack shit. It's a terrible tactic that wastes a lot of research time. I do however want to say that the map ends quickly.

17. flounder

flounder Member

Best way to judge gameplay is to play the map yourself, John. And because you can ensure it's always on rotation, you should have plenty of opportunities to do so. So don't try to please everyone in this thread. A lot of it is personal taste, and some people's suggestions aren't thought out.

18. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya were brainstorming of various ways to prolong the game.

Mostly just making SAM harder to cap is coming to mind.

EDIT: don't worry about that flounder, we jump into game every time we see tropic up

19. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

This map is a real gem that the empires needs. It's up there with mvalley, duststorm and canyon. This map is wonderful, it's perfectly balanced (well it's symmetrical so it's a given), it looks very nice, it does not give off fps lag and teams contact each other early in game. I still have to say that the map usually does not last long enough, I've yet to play a game where one team gets heavies. Still, it's great, it's not too open, and it's not too close.

20. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

really the sky and sea are beutifull. If only the island matched. I am the advocate for all good looking things. and your map needs to be smaked with the pretty stick. Gameplay is perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.