Meelee Combat done Well?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by decemberscalm, Jan 14, 2009.

1. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I've thought about this issue many times before.

How would you do multiplayer melee combat well in a video game?

Lets take a look at some examples....

Fighting games have usually taken the same approach, with barely any difference, with a few exceptions here and there (ex: Soul Calibur, Bushido Blade).

Adventure games usually take a hack and slash approach, God of War, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, etc etc etc.

Assasins Creed combat was pretty fun, with a bit of tweaking I think it could be an awesome way to fight a multiplayer melee battle.

I've never seen good first person melee combat. Its more about timing and looks REALLY awkward. Its more about timing your blocks, and aiming your cursor on the opponents head (ex: age of chivalry, PVK).

If you've ever played Bushido Blade, that is my favorite ever game with melee combat in it. Where your weapons actually contacts matter. You can disable their arms and legs. And when you manage to slice their head or chest, they are dead in one hit. Its played using three stances, and three different attacks from those stances. Very fun, so sad Bushido turned into the Kengu series.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8XblLRYZM

Mount and Blade Combat... It wasn't that good x.x

So there it stands, how would you do melee combat? More especially, how would you like to see it done in a Source mod?

2. arklansman

arklansman Member

Ninja Gaiden.

3. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

first thing i thought of was the nintendo version

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

PVK 2 had the right idea, but somewhere along the way it stopped making sense.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

/thread

^^ no seriously, play this game, and play it multiplayer with the lightsaber

in a nutshell: 3 stances,
    blue (fast slashes that did little damage but could be preformed at high speed and without much aiming, good to defend against guns and to run around with standard)
    yellow/orange (medium damage, medium speed, very balanced but does not excel in anything)
    red (slow big damage dealer, great for attacking someone in the back or dealing the first blow, very hard to defend against someone with it but the offense makes sure you don't have to if you use it with a surprise attack)

projectiles can be slung back at the one firing them, damage is calculated taking into account how close you are to your opponent (more lightsaber that hits you) and if you hit the lightsaber swing, and multiplied by the stance you put your weapon in

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

You read my mind! I'm playing through the singleplayer campaign at the minute, and it continually blows me away how smooth and intuitive the combat and force powers are. It's a far better game even just to look at than the Force Unleashed and it's, what, six years old?!?!

It just effortlessly creates cinematic moments during multiplayer. You can dive into a swirliny melee of dudes, kill them all of them in one fluid chain of attacks and <ziiip> turn off you sabre before the last body hits the ground around you. Fuck yeah!

I've played a round where me and a another guy had a rivalry going. We where neck and neck for the top of the scoreboard. We met each other either side of a large walkway-over-a-bottomless pit so beloved of Star Wars architects. (you're building a space station the size of a planet, is a fucking handrail to much to ask for?) I swear, over the internet, our eyes met. And - <buzzz> - we both fire up our sabers simultaneously. Between us was about four guys all fighting on the walkway. It was like they didn't exist. They were simply obstacles in the way, and irritation to be disposed of to get to the real target. I vaguely remember tossing one guy off the edge using the force with barely a thought, and cutting down another with a casual sideway slash. My opponent did the same, before our sabers met in the middle with a clash. then it was fucking on.

Reminds me of the days before Star Wars sucked.

7. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

melee combat was all the game had

if you had any skill at all all the other weapons were useless

8. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Dark Messiah.

9. Drag

Drag Member

Quoted for truth, and its a source engine game! isn't it?

Okay the multiplayer combat isn't really comparable as you have 1 shot snipers and nuke-slinging mages.

So 2 warriors meeting in a multiplayer match is pretty much pointless. The will just get both blown away/tked in seconds.

10. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I love that game...

11. Reset

Reset Member

Force pull then do the jump and back slash thing.. instakill.

Or what they called the DFA (death from above) off a roof and kill 2 people below you in one swing.

2004... Ah.... good times.

12. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

You don't have to jump, a downward overhead slash will do.

The singleplayer game starts out brutal hard when all you have is a storm trooper rilfe, then gets easier and easier as you get more and more badass forcepowers and sabre skills. That's not a bad thing! when you have force speed up to level three you can take down a room full of bucketheads before they have a chance to blink.

I tried the DMoMaM demo, and it seemed that the kick was the most powerul attack in the game. Why bother using a sword when you can kick a dude onto spikes/fire/bottomless pits/other dudes/general nasty shit and get effortless kills.

13. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

I agree, Pirates Viking Knights 2 doesn't make much sense, it just has gorgeous models. Age of Chivalry kind of makes sense, but it needs some work. Mount and Blade is probably the champion for melee.

Afro Samurai might take the lead though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lol true but was still fun as hell.

and ya I really like the melee combat system in Dark Messiah shame the game was so buggy, prolly coulda been alot more popular.

15. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Oh yes. :D

16. Tuxu

Tuxu Member

Dark messiah of might and magic

"Deadly Reflex" mod for oblivion was hilerious too, hold your shield tight and block while your enemy attacs and then chop his head off. <thump>:confused: <bonk>:headshot:

"Dark messiah of might and magic" style combat is fun.

Its possible, if Dev would decide to relinquish all social life for the next year.

17. Tuxu

Tuxu Member

Thats true, it was the only game that actually gave a feeling of a Kong-fu style fight.
    The daggers, oh the daggerzzz

EDIT: crap, i was talking about dark messaiah...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  18. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member