emp_kutm playtesting

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Dec 22, 2008.

1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

you cant overwrite files afaik. So you need a developer to include it, thats how I understood it.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Or simply install it properly yourself and stop being a lazy bastard.

Yes you can, you can also rewrite all particle effects in all source games if you want.

3. gezor

gezor Member

more ressources/refineries would be good. theres enough space for them.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Map does move pretty slowly due to lack of resources. We had a lot of points on this map and it still moved quite slowly, its just that it feels like its losing potential because you can't properly use various different tanks on it.

5. Omneh

Omneh Member

I can't help but agree with Trickster on this. With a decent res flow (I would say +3 or +4 per refinery or flag, instead of the current +1), the map should see some of the great tank action that it has potential for.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Urgh, I fail to see why because as far as I know all the other maps use 1 res per refinery by default.

If you want to have stupidly high amounts of resources then use the multiplier, but don't blame me when it becomes pointless to contest the centre and the game is decided by whoever gets the first tank rush.

The map isn't about tanks, I quite specifically stated in the development thread that it isn't about tanks, a good portion of your team should be fighting infantry vs infantry in the city, so you don't need as many resources for tanks. If I make it so that everyone can have a tank, nobody will bother playing as infantry, and the city becomes useless.

If you hold your base and either the city or the tower you'll have three refineries, one less than holding half of canyon, and if you capture the central node you'll have five because the centre node is now a double that's one less than capturing the two middle refs on canyon and one side, if five refineries worth of res isn't enough then I don't know what is.

Also I said this before but apparently it wasn't clear, I'm not making any more changes, if you wanted changes you should have posted them before, not now that I've finished, I gave you long enough.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  7. FN198

FN198 Member

i saw this map, and i suppose the aircraft factory may be coincidence but it looks like it was designed with air units in mind

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There are no aircraft, how/why would I design it for them?

9. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

make a map cfg for the money issue guys.

10. Demented

Demented Member

Canyon has ten refs in total. One for each base, one on each hill above each base, one in each of the middle paths, one in each of the two corners of the center hill, and one in each of the NE and SW corners.

Duststorm has ten refs also, and is much closer to the resource layout of your map. Three refineries are available for each base, and there is one in the NW, one in the center and two in the city. The center and NW are probably doubles. That's a total output of 12.

Your map has seven refs, one of which is a double, for a total output of 8. Without the double, which is how most games have been played on r2, it's an output of 6, which is probably what people have been experiencing and whining about.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Then capture the double.

If you can't be bothered to build all the refineries that's your fault, not mine.

12. Demented

Demented Member

Hell, I would if I ever commed your map.

Even then, however, we're still talking about the resource levels of crossroads (3 for one team, 5 for the other) in a map the size of duststorm. It's not so much a problem for the winning team, but it bleeds the losing team dry before any serious tank battles can ever tank place.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But how am I to solve that other than by putting all the resources in each base and not encouraging people to move?

Empires always favours the winning team, I can't solve that by redistributing resources. I have three resource areas which provide the same amount of res, one is open and vulnerable to tanks, one is enclosed but vulnerable to infantry, and one is easy to defend but hard to access.

If you can't take one of those and contest one of the others then you suck at the game, and no amount of mapping will help that.

Set up a base in the northwest, if you lose the northwest move to the city and take it, then go from the city through the underwater tunnels and take the middle, your base will be more spread out but you will have a positional advantage because you are closer to two of the main resource locations, city and center, if you can hold your main base as well you will have a resource advantage and if you can't you will at least break even.

If you can take both sides of the city, wall off both S-bends, and place turrets to blockade the tunnels near the bridge, you will have the same number of resources as the enemy team, and a strong defensive position. If you can't take either the city or the northwest you suck, and the enemy team is better than you, and there's nothing I can do about that.

If the game I stumbled into on nacho's yesterday was anything to go by it's more the fact that you've been playing with shit teams and shit commanders than a problem with the map itself.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  14. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Alright I played this as NF for the first time last nite, at about 12vs12. In a tight squad, it took forever to find any BE. Mostly we just found their turrets in their tunnel. After about 25 minutes I got to ninja an engineer building a turret. Wandered around city trying to find more BE the rest of the game to find out we ninja'd the com somehow. I never saw the BE main base.

Methinks this map is awesome in many dimensions, but too large for anything under 45vs45, I'm guessing. I suggest chopping this map up into two overlapping scenarios (part 1 and part 2) to make it more fun for a typical server.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, just no, 32 players is plenty, 48 would be preferable, you don't need ninety players.

If you don't have enough players that's not my problem. If you blunder around aimlessly with no idea where you're going you wont' find anyone, if you go to the important places you will, the tunnels aren't important places.

16. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

edit: Sorry I actually meant to say I thought it needed at least 45 players in the server, not 45.vs.45.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You're all cretins and I hope you die, here's the new version.

http://files.filefront.com/emp+king+r2zip/;12891323;/fileinfo.html

Doubled overall res output from all refineries, and a new system for the city flags will ensure that they scale with the number of players, as another mapper informed me that flags alone do not scale, so this should just over double the res for any given game, and the increase will be more marked when there are lots of players.

The minimap has had the tunnels added and I tried outlining some of the stuff in the city with a blue line, because some of the less mentally agile players were having difficulty, I remind all players that you should zoom in the map in complex areas, that's what the buttons are for and that no amount of map reading will compensate for actually looking around the place.

The city flags have been replaced with a new system, now you capture one of the two resource flags and this will spawn a refinery, to neutralise the flag you must destroy the refinery, then you can recapture it for your team, which will spawn your refinery instead.

Neutralising a flag in this method will remove all benefits the flag confers, such as spawn points so shelling it from a distance is a good idea. On the other hand, capturing a flag held by the enemy overall is now harder, and the enemy team will get a warning when you try it. I did this partly to fix the flag res scaling, and partly because I noticed a lot of people were capping flags too easily. Flags also require four people to capture and the HQ flag takes twenty seconds as opposed to fifteen, I can't remember whether this was in the last version.

Possible issues include instability due to the new flag system, which hasn't been tested on a multiplayer server yet, because I don't have one handy.

18. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i'll throw it bk on the noob svr and put it in rotation. cross yer fingers it doesnt break.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  20. gezor

gezor Member

oh new version. too bad that this map isnt hosted very often.