conn problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by butter jam, Dec 26, 2008.

1. butter jam

butter jam Member

Me and another person in my house share a router and whenever we try to connect to the same server it says "disconnect by user" and "connection failed after 4 retires" it used to work on nachos till christmas day.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Restart router, update router drivers, rage if it still doesn't work

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Sounds like bad NAT settings.

4. butter jam

butter jam Member

works now whenevver i restart my router. btw all my settings are default

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Some routers have shitty NAT implementation. An 'Open' NAT is VERY important. NAT stands for Network Address Translation. It is how your router determines where to send information within a network since technically, every computer behind a router is actually using the routers IP when sending/receiving to/from the internet.

6. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Not every problem with a router is caused by bad configurations. Often, it's a software error that can be corrected by a reboot, which butter jam has just demonstrated with his post. If such software errors are frequent, then a firmware update may be required.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Firmware updates make my router WORSE :( And I need to stop getting confused with corporate routers. After taking CCNA training, I'm used to dumb routers that you program via command-line-like Telnet. They do exactly what your lines of config say, and nothing annoying that's hidden.

8. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Dumb routers? Superior routers are not dumb routers :pathetic:

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I mean they don't try and do shit they aren't supposed to. Consumer routers try to be smarter by doing crap you don't want them to that should, but don't always, make it function better. Corporate routers are dumb. They only do what the config tells them to do. They don't decide "Hey, there using this, lets turn this on too!"

10. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Just because someone programs the router to make decisions for you doesn't mean it's a smart router. As you just pointed out, it has a habit of being massively fail.

Cisco routers can be configured to do just about any damn thing you tell them to, while home routers... do NAT. Usually in a manner that is bad for at least one application you want to use. For instance, my router refuses to use the outbound port 27015 for the Empires server I used to run, making rcon impossible to use without manually specifying an IP and port to use. I haven't toyed around with NAT on a cisco router, but I bet one could make it not be fucking retarded like the home router.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

at work we call them "dumb" routers too... they do less from themselves, so they are reliable

12. butter jam

butter jam Member

its still happening now restarting my router dosent work :(