emp_kutm playtesting

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Dec 22, 2008.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Revision Two Fixed: http://files.filefront.com/kutm+r2zip/;12743062;/fileinfo.html

Unzip to empires root directory.

Thread music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCVehuXlJxk

This is my first big release so there are a few uncertainties:

1. It all goes tits up and causes a complete internet blackout for three miles when you try to run it (unlikely)

2. Something breaks, be it a missing material I forgot to include or everyone else's computer on the planet does something differently from mine, if this happens tell me, if it's your computer I won't do anything, if it doesn't annoy me I won't do anything, if I can't be arsed I won't do anything but posting will make you feel better and I'm curious.

3. You do something odd and I have to patch the map to stop you doing it, I tried to exploit the fuck out of this map before I released it so it should be exploit proof, chances are if you think it's an exploit I've already thought about it and it shouldn't break the map, this includes things like wall climbing onto the shipping crates, that shouldn't be a problem (although I did nodraw some of them so it will look fugly). If by any chance you manage to wallclimb, mine-propel, displacement-bug and barracks-build-through-the-bottom-of-a-brush your way to the 'win the game for BE' button on top of the big tower please let me know.

4. The res list is wrong. I had to write the res list by hand because there isn't any other way to do it and pakrat breaks the bsp, so if I made a typo the map might not download from the server properly If this happens let me know, with a screenshot, and I'll fix it.

5. You get stuck, this is a possible problem but I tested all the areas I could think of where you could do it accidentally as an infantryman, and they were all unstickable fairly easily. There are a few which you can get to by purposefully hurling yourself into an obviously inescapable area but this is frankly your own damn fault.

6. You realise you can build walls in the tunnels. I know you can build walls in the tunnels and this isn't a problem, because an engineer can easily deconstruct them, it would delay you yes but as the enemy can't defend them they are easily killed by engineers. This also goes for all the other places you can build walls. I may change it however if it becomes a problem, although I do not suspect it will.

7. The map frequently crashes half way through the game, this might be a problem as there is an awful lot of stuff in the map, however I don't think it will do it, but the only way I can test it is to have 48 players on the map blowing the crap out of each other and I don't have 48 players handy, that's where you lot come in.

8. You notice the clouds disapper at some places in the city. I know, I don't know why they do it so I can't fix it, it's not that noticable.

9. There are too few resources. I don't know what the standard resource output is, so I just set one point per second per refinery, this is low but that's somewhat intentional, as I find most maps have huge numbers of resources which only serve to help the winning team, this map should result in the winning team having at most two more resources than the enemy.

10. I forgot to put a camera in for the starting view, I'll fix it later.

Ok a quick run down of how the map works for those of you who don't know. The city is a miniature version of district essentially, fight from flag to flag and capture the ones with refineries under them to earn a res trickle. Three spawn points marked on the minimap, and flag can be captured at any time. Two spawns in tunnels under the large cliffs to allow infantry free movement, and a double res node in the northwest. One res node per base, and one in the middle of the map inside a bunker.

I advise you to set up a base in the northwest and lock it down with walls and barracks and APC spawns, and I advise you to fight over the city too, use scunts to infiltrate and cap a spawn then bring in everyone else, the city is hard to defend.

Infantry should get their arses into a bunker when not doing anything else, because bunkers are very good in this map, I scrapped most of the designs and just improved the best one with all the benefits of the others, it offers great cover, something to hide an APC behind, and an elevated firing position if you need one.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

This happens quite a bit actually.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm just a bit worried because the map is sitting on the edge of the engine catastrophe-curve, it's about a dozen brushes away from too many tjuncs and about one megabyte away from engine hunk overflow. On the plus side I think it's probably several hundred to a thousand entities away from no free edicts because I deleted a boatload of sprites.

I've spawned in some bots and build a couple of bases and it hasn't crashed but I simply don't know until it's been properly tested, and the only way I can fix it if it breaks is to remove features.

Oh yes and do let me know if your server is testing it because I'd like to actually for once play the map I've been working on for about one and a half years.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  4. Demented

Demented Member

1. The minimap picture won't show up. It's not pink and black checkers, it's just not showing up.

2. The smoke is way fast. It bugs me. Plus, there's some console spam that makes the console unusable. Something about "GetLinearMotion".

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Chris, add me on steamfriends @ trickster9012
    I'll get you a 46 player test going tonight if you want.

6. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

This is the message, and it keeps getting spammed incredibly fast:

I have the same problem with the minimap, and I don't even see the spawnpoints for either BE or NF, making it impossible to spawn.

Also, you might want to rotate the BE barracks by 180 degrees. The way they are facing currently, people who spawn will have to turn around or they will stand in front of a cliff when they come out. It's very annoying to spawn at the beginning of the round and bump into ten teammates or to run around the barracks because you've forgotten it. Play BE on Cyclopean or Duststorm if you don't believe me.

Of course that's just a minor issue, but I assume it's also a minor change, and it would help so much.

The same applies to the buried raxes, but I don't know if they are just props or actually used for spawning.

Edit: forgot to say, the map looks incredibly beautiful. I can't wait to see how it plays.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Hmm, I'll recheck the minimap and issue a small update, it worked fine when I tested it.

Oh fuck yeah I forgot to include the map script, I wrote the res file for it then forgot to include the actual folder, hang on.

here: http://files.filefront.com/resourcezip/;12733051;/fileinfo.html unzip to same location and it should fix it.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'll probably be asleep, but feel free to make one anyway and just post the results.

Also the console spam stops after a while, I don't know what causes it, I thought it was the thing mentioned with the release of 2.2 which caused console spam.

I'll fix the barracks in the next release, I'll build up a few issues before I do something because that way I release fewer versions and it's less confusing.

The clouds are supposed to be fast, it's supposed to be a massive wind/ice storm from which you are sheltered by the cliffs.

9. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

The new script fixes the minimap, and I can confirm that the console spam stops.

Also, 800 tickets per default?

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I figured it needed more than normal because it has an infantry section, so it's probably going to have infantry throwing themselves at each other and tanks all through the game, I didn't want people to be constrained by tickets when doing that.

The map is quite non-linear also so I can't imagine either side getting bogged down very easily.

How's the FPS? I have a supercomputer so I can't test that very easily.

11. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I hope so.
    What I'm worried about though is that the map will be Ninja's paradise, because:

-you can change class behind enemy lines if you capture a flag (take scout with hide, sneak, change to grenadier/engi, start blowing bases up)
    -there are capturable spawnpoints, they seem easy to defend (we'll see about that) and combined with the ton of tickets a team can probably hold out for a long time controlling virtually no territory
    -you can sneak through most parts of the map without being detected
    -there's plenty of cover
    -the map is quite dark, making it harder to spot hidden scouts (I think)

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

-yes, but none of the spawn points are near base locations, you can't build any real base in the city, and the two spawns in the tunnels have long, linear approaches and come out into an open field which is in between two base locations. You can't ninja any more effectively than you can normally and any flag capture will be shown on the minimap.

- they seem easy to defend but the tunnel points can be neutralised in five seconds, so simply pushing the enemy back down the tunnel would be enough, although if the enemy has captured the tunnel spawn you should probably consider just blockading that area off from the field or flanking them from the other side, you would be hard pressed to push them back down the tunnel if there were lots of them I agree, but if you defend the entrances you can quite effectively contain them. In the city the spawns are some distance away from the cap point, and you can use an APC to get really close to the cap point for all 3 spawns, and one can even be capped with vehicles, so that shouldn't be a problem, I can make them fast to neutralise if they are a problem, but the idea is that the two side spawns should be hard to take with infantry alone and no flanking, the fighting should be over the resource flags, and those are easier to take and should sway between the two teams.

-Yes, but that won't do you much good, a few turrets in the base, a few walls around the choke points, and you should be able to keep out ninjas.

-Yes, good isn't it?

-I guess so, but scouts can be hard to spot anyway, they are a good idea though for taking the side spawns in the city if you've been pushed out entirely.

The buried raxes in the starting locations are just for the fun of it, you can sit in there if you're a scout and maybe squad revive your team to that location.

Even if people do hold out indefinitely in the tunnel or something, they would be hard pressed to win on tickets, the worst I can imagine is a team holing up in the city, but as I don't think you can fit a VF anywhere in there and whoever controlled the rest of the map would have 5 res nodes to their 2, they couldn't do anything. You should certainly be able to take the side spawns and then at worst have to shell the shit out of the headquarters to break a walled in base, but that's an inevitable loss, possibly a fun one, but an inevitable one certainly. The high tickets should prevent it devolving into ticket wars.

I did think about this quite carefully.

13. Demented

Demented Member

You really need to use clip brushes. =P

Why?

Well...
    Because of my lovely armory ladder, of course!

[​IMG]

But what could I possibly do up there? Rain down grenades? That's not going to help my team exploit their way to a stupidly long game of ticket wars. Hmm.

Well, I could always... build a barracks!

[​IMG]

For the record, NF doesn't even need an armory ladder. That second barracks spot is buildable from below if you've got an NF rax, since the foundation goes low enough to be in reach of the highest tier of catwalks.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The hell is an armory ladder?

And why the blazes can you build on the top of those gantries?

I'll shove a no comm build brush over the whole city then.

I would have thought the city would be far too uneven to support building, I mean the slightest incline would prevent the placement of a building normally.

Stupid game.

New version up in about half an hour, fixes that, and turns round the BE barracks.

15. petemyster

petemyster Member

Just played it, nice map, you should add an airport

16. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

One of the flags in the city does shake on the mini map, the one in F1 that is surrounded by the other flags :eek:

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I know I don't know why, it's no different to any of the other flags.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

please don't tell me your naming each version the same, thats gonna make life really difficult...

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No I'll increment it each time and you'll need to update the soundscape file to match. The final version will be named the same as this version but while I'm changing I'll use the increment system.

20. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

goin on the noob server, will try to have a playtest today.
    nice job.