My "How low can you go" Config for crap hardware

Discussion in 'Support' started by BumGravy, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Spooky

Spooky Member

In the thumbnail I was like:
    "hmm this doesen't look too bad *opens up* OMG"

nice config though.

2. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

You think thats bad? During testing this was how bad i managed to get it to look:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately this is a bit too low even for me, it makes it a lot harder to play because tree branches are massive 10foot pixels that block your view, and as you can see from theminimap and hud its pretty hard to keep track of WTF is going on.

3. Dr. Rockso

Dr. Rockso Member

Nope thats not it, I can get past that screen now but in class select none of the skill/drop downs work. I can make a screenshot if you really need it but it doesnt show anything but the normal menu (with a black line on the right side), I had to reinstall empires to get it to work normally so I'd rather not if you dont need it heh.

*edit I wrote this as I reinstalled empires....I can not get it back to default even after deleting empires and reinstalling...........heh

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  4. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Wait, your empires was working fine, u installed my config and it screwed up your empires, and it is still screwed up after deleting empires and reinstalling with no trace left of the config?

5. Dr. Rockso

Dr. Rockso Member

Yup it was the direct x version. Reset it and everything is fine. For some reason when I reset launch options before reinstall it didnt save, I guess steam crashed when I shut it down. Works fine in 8.1 ect ty.

6. Spooky

Spooky Member

Now THAT is bad. I have no idea how you can play like this.
    *APC JUST GOT THREW OUR WALLS*
    BumGravy:its ok it was just an AFV
    NF:ok we dont have to worry
    *8 mines and a mortar later*

7. o_O

o_O Member

I'm going to have to try some of these settings. With the new orange box engine my framerates dropped from always maxed out at 35 or 45 (capped it to keep my laptop cool and happy) to now its 20 until the tanks start rolling out or a building starts smoking. Do any of those turn down particle detail specifically?

It bugs me because its just my graphics card too, sometimes i'm the first one to load after a mapchange...

8. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

BumGravy why would anyone want empires to look like that?

9. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

because I like having 30 FPS instead of 10?

10. Extrems

Extrems Webmaster Extraordinaire

This config is ridiculous, you would need an ancient PCI card or one of the early integrated chipsets to even think about using it.

Hell, it looks like the OP ran Source on an overclocked PlayStation 1.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  11. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Unfortunately not, I dont think there are any settings compatible with empires ATM. In my config I can turn down vehicle smoke becuase it uses the old system, But i cant do anything about particle smoke - which is used by unbuilt or damaged buildings. I am going to request a command to turn down building smoke effect but the Devs might not be too bothered as it only effects mega low end users.

BTW Celeron 3.33, 512 ram, Radeon xpress 200, so feel bad when i pwn you in game and teabag your corpse pls

12. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

I died a little inside seeing the screenshots D:

13. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

cl_part in console gives you a list of client-side cvars to effect change on the particle system. untested any to see if they make much diff., best help for me was to lower dxlevel in launch params.

14. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Im already running dx70, but theres still a large difference in FPS between looking at 2.12 smoke and 2.2 smoke. Ill try out your command tomorow to see if I can squeeze some more juice.

15. o_O

o_O Member

Edit: wow, so I turned my dx level to 8.1 and so far I haven't been able to get my fps to go below 45 even with turning models textures and shaders to max. The game looks twice as good as dx 9 and it doesn't hate particles anymore. If you have a cheap or integrated ( :( ) graphics card, make sure to mess with the dx level.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  16. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

and how do i mess with the dx level?

and why is empty banned... again?

17. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

You set the DX level in launch options, right click on Empires in your steam games list and press properties > launch options. Look at my original post for the line I use.

I use dx7 which works OK for me but some people can only go as low as dx8 or they get weird stuff happening.

18. bud

bud Member

mine did the same thing . cannot choose class or skills. and reinstalled and didn't fix it.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Hey mate, thanks. Works perfectly for the guy with a good processor and no video card...

2.0 ghz Dual-Core Celeron
    2048mb ram
    INTEGRATED Nvidia 7050 256MB shared memory.
    Running this +Dxlevel 7 with 30FPS. Can look straight at an exploding turret with no lag :>

Getting an Nvidia 8500GT by the end of the month.

ALSO. "Downloadfilter "all"" needs to be on, otherwise you can't download any maps <_<

20. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

I've never seen a game look like that, ever.

I'm happy with my 150 fps at max settings.