Let's (actually) play ... Dwarf Fortress!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheBoff, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Seraph

Seraph Member

Store it in a special building immediately outside your entrance, whose walls are all doors linked to a switch inside your fortress. Then, when another dragon attacks, you can have dragon wars!

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

no silly ^^ i want 2 dragons

MOAAAR MOOOOOOOOAAAR MUHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! ^^

and serious now, the dragon is just too dangerous to use besides for last resort, i made it so that i can unchain the dragon on distance so that whoever will destroy my fort will at least not live to brag about it

3. Empty

Empty Member

Do a boatmurdered. But instead of magma, it's dragons.

No steam, no elves getting pissed, just lockdown your fort and release the dragons when you get attacked.

4. Drag

Drag Member

Dragon defence could work nicely, unless it gets punctuated by too many spears or bolts.

Currently playing hermit challenge in year 7, man things go slow with only 1 guy. The first immigrants have been sent to starve in dark chambers (which are still filled with 4 dozens bones)

Finally finished a simple drawbridge/retractable bridge/Magma flooding corridor. Now to pressure plate-automated menacing spiky goodness.

Also found adamantine AGAIN. Which is great, since my one dwarf shall soon be decked out in adamantine all over.

As for super projects, meh. Iconized smg 3?

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

would dragons breed?

6. Drag

Drag Member

Sadly no, I don't think wild creatures actually breed. They just spawn "outside" the playable area and wander in. Dragons are megabeast and thus are rare, there is only a limited number of them in any given WORLD. So the chances of you getting two are lowish (unless you altered world creation megabeast percentage). I had 2 megabeasts in a relatively long running fort.

The dragon I got just burned down the trade depot and ended in my stone traps (yes I know, its cheap ;p) He ate 12 stones to the head and then tumbled into the fully loaded weapon traps. After 3 of them he was out of commission and bled to death.

As for your chained dragon... beware should you ever return to your fortress in adventure mode...

I do think dragons can tear down doors and the like. You'd better seal it off real good (remember they can fly, so ceilings are not optional)

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why should i not return in adventure mode? i never played in adventure mode

drag, i trained the dragon, i can assign it as pet if i want (and have the dragon incinerate its owner as soon as danger comes near, so its not really nice...)

in other words: its a friendly now, (hes not gonna tear down stuff :) )and my mayor is quite fond of his cute big eyes

also since it was a random event i cheated a little (due to curiosity), and copied the savegame just before the dragon arrived (lets say 15 mins) and the dragon keeps on coming in my fortress land like clockwork...

8. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

I got a dragon too ;D.

I'm gonna build a dragon lair under my entrance, so when gobbies come in, they fall right near the dragon. then when they try to escape i have about 20 different weapon taps to the only stairs outta the dragon pit. ;)

I don't really use soldiers... tho i should i have like 110+ dwarves and 40 are usually idle.. hehe.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i have 100 dwarven (some died, i had 108 at first but i had a cave in) and i keep on running low on food and jobs wont get done :(

with all the nobles i need to assign guards and royal guards, they take up a lot of dwarven...

10. Drag

Drag Member

Well after you abandon a fortress all normal pets die. So if you revisit your abandoned fort you will find those lying about the place. I don't know if tamed dragons count as real pets and thus will die after the fort is abandoned. Usually megabeast turn loose after fort abandonment and EAT every living soul that tries to return to the fortress.

As for activity in my 235 dwarf fort I had 23 fortress guards 11 royal guards, a metric ton of useless nobles all decked out with high class rooms. I usually had 5-15 dwarves idle around though. And there were like 55 children :x. How do you keep those buggers busy?

Well once the economy kicked in and you were stupid enough to mint coins the dwarves spent half of their time dragging coins around and doing shopping. You should've seen the AMOUNT OF GOBLIN CLOTHES my hammerer had "acquired" (nobles don't have to PAY at shops............) The whole room was full of them, knee-deep. I mean that guy must have had some serious fetish for goblin underwear. Especially since the main supplier was the traps-and-cleaning department.

As for projects... it was an aquifier region so I spent most of the time trying to build an aquifier penetration device with the sole reason of supplying the throne room with light from above. I only got 2 layers deep until I ran out of patience and space.

I recently played around with the world creation parameters and have a set for making ultra-volcanism worlds with 800+ caves. Now I have to cap the elevation and increase the amount of ocean tiles so I can have a lot of volcanic islands in ocean. Caves are fun, always a boss monster in them.

As for a succession game, how about a prison island where undesirables of a big dwarven civilisation get thrown off at. Unless they manage to survive and/or build a running fort to show that they are real dwarves they won't get off. They'd have to slave labor goods to appease the king. If they manage to become rich enough for mountain-home they are pardoned.

11. Empty

Empty Member

That's something i forgot.

Trap doors to the dragon pit.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

very relevant to my interests

13. Lockhart

Lockhart Member

This game was fun but I got sick of the graphics after a while. That and sometimes the game mechanics took too much effort to figure out for that matter. (Such as building wells and magma forges) It's a really great game with alot of special stuff tho. If I was really into it I'd join your charade but it pains me to think of dwarven booze, immigrants and falling asleep on the cold cold ground, with booze.

14. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Try a graphic tile-set. I don't but a suggestion.

My Duchess Consort went crazy, then beserked. Killing a few high level guys. This ranger joined in, I thought he was going to kill her. Nope he just kept hitting my other dwarves til I finally got him taken down. She imprisioned one guy for not making an item I don't have the material to do. That guy died in prison :<. So I gave him her tomb and stuck her in a crate where the commoners go to die. Hehe.

15. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

maybee next year, february I have time for that game again :(

17. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

*revive* lets start a succession game it will be awesome.

18. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Sounds like fun. Go go go.

19. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

I'd *so* want a multiplayer, DF mod for Half-Life2. Imagine the joy of having HSM get voted in as Mayor!

Alas, the BSP probably wouldn't support 'wall digging', and random map levels are probably out too.

20. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

I probably still have the original lying around on my mac. Won't work with the new version though. :(