Advertisement

Discussion in 'General' started by butter jam, Nov 16, 2008.

1. butter jam

butter jam Member

Ok im tired of reading things like "i think if empires was shown hear then it would get lots of ppl coming in." How about we actually do something to advertisement like l tell your friends to try it out or my method would be go in counter strike or sum other game then (bind (key) "say try out empires mod") maybe a bit forceful but we need to get this mod thriving. Imagine starting up empires find server then seeing 10 servers with 30 -40 people. Once they see the potential for this mod and the level of fun (aside from a little griefing) they will stay and maybe tell their friends to try it and it will keep growing. I just wanna say it plain out :|t is a great game and many dont know what they are missing out on:

2. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

For some reason they are still playing the bad Half Life 2 DM. And ofcourse the idiotic laggy AoC,...

3. butter jam

butter jam Member

we should send a virus to all the other mod creators so they will be forced to shut down and empires will be the only mod :p

4. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Or hire a violent psychopath serial killer...

5. Jäger

Jäger Member

or you could just get together a marketing team whos sole job is just to advertise the mod around the net... thats how AoC got so popular they had good marketing through out the process then landed the ultimate advertisement in the form of landing a featured spot on steam.

the second part to their marketing success was a unique product. they are the only mod of their kind. empires has a very unique product and should have no problem with this part of marketing.

also advertiseing in another game with a bind makes people not play it because it is considered rude its like advertising your clan in another clans server. if your gonna try to get the word out at all you have to do it in a casual conversation, you and some guys are talkin about games while playing counterstrike for instence then you can just casually mention "hey have you guys ever tried that empires mod? i hear its pretty good"

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  6. Silk

Silk Mapper

With a lot of time on his hands

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Empty?

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the way to go is to set up a task force of 3 to 4 people, and they come up with a marketing tactic, be it youtube videos and spreading them around, be it bugging gabe for having empiresmod in the steam games list

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Best way is to make a viral video with HSM ranting. I guarantee people will come :p

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

The problem is that nobody wants to do this.
    Just look at the website, it's totally outdated and many things are missing (no screenshot of the commander interface, no information about what is going on at the moment etc...).

11. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

No point advertising an unfinished product right now.

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Updates are the best PR a mod can get. *hint hint hint*

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

not if no one hears about them

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This would actually work ridiculously well.

HSM - Screaming
    Viewer - Thinking

HSM: "GUYS GO AND GET THE REFINERIES GODDAMMIT"
    Viewer: "oh cool it's like Warhammer or something"
    HSM: "DAMMIT DONT BE SCOUT, BE AN ENGINEER OR GRENADIER OR EVEN RIFLEMAN IF YOU REALLY NEED TO"
    Viewer: "oh snap four classes"
    HSM: "WHAT THE FUCK KILL THOSE ENGINEER TURRETS AND WALLS IM GETTING KILLED GG"
    Viewer: "coolio people can drop their own buildings"
    HSM: "YEAH ALPHA SQUAD GO TO NORTH AND BUILD THAT RAX AND VEHICLE FACTORY"
    Viewer: "oh snap this guy can drop buildings"
    HSM: "BUILD THE RADAR OMFG ARE YOU PEOPLE RETARDED, I CANT DO RESEARCH IF I DONT HAVE A RADAR DGFDGDFDF"
    Viewer: "Hot damn, you can research new stuff!"
    HSM: "OK CUSTOMIZE YOUR TANKS WITH BIO ENGINE AND ARMOR, MEDIUM TANKS IN 3 MINUTES"
    Viewer: "Customizable tanks and new researchable chassis? Wow!"
    HSM: "DAMMIT THEYRE SQUAD ARTY STRIKING THE RAX, AND <name> DO A SQUAD REVIVE DAMMIT"
    Viewer: "Squad abilities? This just gets better and better!"
    HSM: "OK NICE NOW KEEP THEM BUSY WHILE I GET NUKES"
    Viewer: "OH SNAP NUKES I'M SOLD"

15. Spooky

Spooky Member

Well I do have this extra 112,664$ Dollars laying around, when 3.0 is released I can get us some superbowl airtime.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

it cost millions to put an add in during superbowl, just Fyi.

17. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Its hard to convey why Empires is special in a screenshot or even a video. I mean people look at DIPRIP and see car with guns, they get it. Look at Zombie panic, you instantly get it, AoC, PvK, heck even ES is straight up about what its about. Problem with Empires is you look and see tanks and soldiers and it just looks like a crappy version of Battlefield. Tanks and soldier games are a dime a dozen. You need some way to convey that special magic Empires has. Or you make it look really pretty and cool just to grab people long enough to try it out. You need a hook, and I think 'FPS meets RTS' isn't enough, it's not easy to quickly convey visually.

But lets face it folks, Empires will never be a massively popular mod. I mean it can be solidly successful, but the fact that it demands that little bit more from the player will mean it will never be huge with the mainstream. If CS is WoW, then Empires is EVE Online: A solid fanbase, but not for the mainstream gamer.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. People who are looking for a game like Empires will find it. I did. Just keep telling your friends about it, that will suffice I think. Oh and if your in North America, and you think no-one plays, try playing in the morning when Europe is in gaming primetime, you'll see how popular Empires really is.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

dont think our target audience is present at a football stadium, better choose other more effective channels...

19. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

That, and the learning curve is a malevolent sentient vertical cliff dead set on murdering everyone.

20. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

just throwing this out there, im avid in flash, fireworx and dreamweaver
    hello, here to help