How Can I Play Xwing Alliance On 64bit Vista?!?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zealoth, Sep 27, 2008.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

they could keep updating windows 95, it was in fact written to be kept far at least 10 years with updates but that would not sell as good... 98 was an upgrade worth its money because it was almost as decent as 95 + all sorts of new stuff (like usb support, although they did release a version of 95 with usb support afterwards)

after that it went downhill with the results and uphill with the profits, XP being a bit of a trend breaker, but still not as good as 95 or 98 was at its time...

so basically, yes, money grab once they had the market dominated but i guess we cannot blame them because it is called capitalism and stuff :(

2. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I've said before that I'd prefer Windows to become a microkernel based OS, and sell a copy of Windows. Not Windows Vista, or Windows Foo, just "Windows", and it comes with a year of updates. You then pay for continual updates, and the updates are more than just bug fixes, they are total updates to the system, so that Windows itself is always improving, and the Windows that you bought 5 years ago is no longer the same version that you see now. In essense, you would be paying to see improvements made to Windows, but would never have to buy windows again (unless you wanted it for a new PC). I can also imagine how that model might cut down piracy...

3. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Windows, the MMO! I dig that. As long as it's like EVE and they don't expect you to then pay extra for the expansion packs. :D

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Now I just need to wander over to building 8 and camp outside of Ballmer's office and wait so I can ambush him with my idea. And if that fails, I can try Sinfosky...

Yeah. I doubt that idea would go anywhere, unless I managed to get a hold of people in MSR or something. :-/ Being one in a sea of 100,000 sucks.

5. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I'm with you on this bro, now we are 2 in a sea of 100,000!

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

that was the "basic" idea behind windows 95 as far as i know, (hence the year name in the first place) but they soon discovered they could make more profit if they would release a new os

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Well, sea of 100,000, as in I'm one of the 100,000 full time employees at a certain company.

8. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

A certain company that shall not be named. And all that that implies...:D

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'm trying to think of some clever remark for this, but all I can think is DEVELOPERSDEVELOPERSDEVELOPERSDEVELOPERS.