Looking for a good Space Flight Game

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by decemberscalm, Jun 14, 2008.

1. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

So I really miss the Wing Commander series right now, and theres such a flurry of space games that I have no idea which to pick. Is there any freelancing space flight game you need a joystick for (none of that freelancer mouse crap)?

One that'll really get you involved. ~thanks for your time ^_^

2. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

X3>all>freelancer>darkstar one>Spaceforge: Rouge Universe(its utter crap)

3. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Actually all of those titles except freelance suck...

If you want a real space game, if you can find a copy, get Tachyon The Fringe. This game is a very fun, easy to learn game with lots of humor in it. Of course, when the main character is voiced by Bruce Campbell, who wouldn't expect it.

4. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I would highly suggest Starlancer. I remember I found it for $2 in the back of an EBgames. Best $2 I ever spent on a game :-)

If you like Battlestar Galactica, you might try Beyond the Red Line. Its a fan made game based on the freespace engine. I'd find you a link, but i'm feeling lazy so you'll have to google it :-P

5. Deiform

Deiform Member

Not really freelancing, but the best story line and immersion ever - Freespace 2!

Bit old though.

6. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

feel free to explain to me how the following x3 features suck:
    -building stations for production, creating station compexes for production of weapons/advanced stuff
    -starting with a small useless ship and working your way towards gigantic destroyers/carriers capable of carrying 100+ small ships
    -destruction of entire systems and rebuilding them with your own stuff
    -exploration of this many sectors (and 4x times more with mods)
    -mods adding 200+ detailed ships (original ships)
    -epic battles with 50+ ships
    -great graphics with relatively low sys specs needed

7. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Which ones are Lan?

8. Deiform

Deiform Member

X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter is LAN. :p

9. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I've played that game to death. ^_^ uber game

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Freelancer sucks. You use a bloody mouse. It was built to be extremely accessible and easy to play. The combat is the most boring thing in existence.

11. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I-WAR 2.

I-WAR Friggin 2!

No ones played it and it beats the pants of everything else. It is CRIMINALLY UNDERATED. I love Freespace 2, but its feels gamey. I-War is a simulator, but it's still great fun. I could bang on for ages about the unique combat feel....the supidly high speed combats...the.....of forget it just play it damnit. All of you!

12. Angry

Angry Junior Member

I own X3 and I play just to have fun, yeah I love managing and free forming and all that shit but I never said it was an awful game I just think Freelancer and especially Tachyon have it beat. I'd rather get into a game and pick up fairly quick and play rather than not learning much at all and struggle to play the dam thing.

Don't be a pussy, buy a damn joystick or gamepad like everyone else. Although I can admit combat was not nearly as good I blame that on cookie cutter missions more than gameplay since it was similar to Tachyons it was still good to play... For awhile.

13. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I've got a joystick. Doesn't change the fact the combat is downright boring. The entire game feels like a grindfest mmo. You get all these cool and more powerful ships, but the combat is still very much dull, so using them isn't much fun. They managed to get everything else right though, but in a game thats about space combat, it doesn't cut it for me.

I'm torrenting X3, and from what I've read it looks much fun ^_^ thank god for maneuvers =).

14. Lord_Doku

Lord_Doku Member

I totally agree with you decemberscalm.

I have Freelancer(torrented that is) and boy it SUCKS. Now you need like 4 patches do play it how its supposed to be played: over the internet. And even then it sucks, since(as dec stated) the game is about space combat, and the space combat is as dull as shit. I mean, games like this need challenge in space combat, but by using the mouse, everyone seems to be PRO-level in this game. The only 2 things that are good about it, is that unlike other games you can still go online, and its modability.

But all in all...

X3>Galactic Universe>X-wing vs TIE-Fighter>Freelancer
    *note: this is not the full list ;) *

15. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Tachyon>X3

Missions are all different and unique and you deal with some really interesting characters.

16. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

after reading > 250mb scifi books on my pda i havent seen a scifi story that is unique in any of the games since 2000(year i begun playing)

in the end all that matters are the bones and muscles of the game and thats the gameplay and with x3 (the only game i bought on release day from my 2.5tb of games i played) i had atleast 300 hours of fun not even a gta or some punk ass wow bullshit could come close to that(forced myself to try wow after lvl 25 i was bored as hell [actually i was bored from the beginning but went on to try it] )

17. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

X3 got done last night, played a combat mission and I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to go freelance around. Its confusing at first, but figuring it out is half the fun. I was getting ready for work and was glancing at my brother playing the missions. He was in a gunner seat shooting at pirates while his ship was being manuvered around through a tight city. After the cutscene he had to eject and get to a ship waiting to rescue you outside a bunch of asteroids while in a space suit thats rapidly failing. Freelancer missions aint got nothing on X3 ^_^

I'll check out I-War 2 and Tachyon (was that a Playstation game?) later.