Tal Ocha Via Reynto

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by KILLX, Feb 21, 2008.

1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Oh isn't this great, I'm just straight up saying ENDWAR is now out the window.

I'm not gonna be arsed to deal with the fucking legality issues that may arise, just straight up avoiding it.

2. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Sounds more like they stole from Empires than the other way round.

EndWar (the game) has been announced for quite some time now.
    I didn't know you hadn't heard of that, otherwise I would have brought it up.
    But is it really going to be a problem to come up with another title?

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/clive-barkers-jericho

Was it there you discovered it? ;)
    And it doesn't feel like Empires really, sure you can come up with a better name.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

No, I heard it as the name of a missile in Iron Man. Awesome word, but re-considering, arklansman is right. I'll lose a bit of sleep over it probably, I tend to obsess on details since I'd rather let this die than not do the Empires storyline justice, but I'll think of something.

I'm thinking of just inventing a word and accrediting it's meaning to something deciphered from the ancient language that covers the walls of the ruins in the ancient city. I already did that with IOTA (I can't remember what it is the abbreviation is, or what it means, but thats why I have files on my laptop), to give meaning to the name of the project.

Opinions please: do you guys think it should be an abbreviation, meaning something (like IOTA, where each letter is the first letter of a word in the ancient language, and it means something directly related to the project) or just a word that means something (like cake, which plain and simple means cake), or a word that means something more (along the lines of a single word meaning a sentence once deciphered).

Naming has always been my weakness. I either use something that comes to mind easily (then I feel like I'm cheating and using something too common and unoriginal) or I make something up, which often to me sounds LAME.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I knew of the game long before I started writing. As a game, it probably wouldn't create legality issues since it's 2 totally different types of entertainment.

6. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Bad luck for you that it was a Tom Clancy game.
    And in my opinion explaining a name with "it's an abbreviation in another in-universe language" is perfectly in order and, in fact, cool.

Also, fun fact, iota is a greek letter.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I know about iota. I used Wikipedia since Greek letters are always interesting. I then adapted it to fit the Empires universe. I'd do the same for the title, but then it makes the book seem like it has Greek ties on first glance to anyone that recognizes the letter.

8. KILLX

KILLX Banned

At this point, I'm heading toward a turning point in the planets history. Something that occurred decades before Jekotia or Bren. The only record of the event is in the ancient city, and everything but the name of the event is deciphered. Jekotian High Command names the operation after the event, believing the invasion will be a turning point to rival the planet changing one their ancestors experienced.

Been talking to Forkeh on STEAM, and hes suggested "Tal Ocha Via Reynto" (TOVR). I think its good, but me being me, I want to do my absolute best for this whole novel. I won't stop as long as anything can be improved.

9. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Jekotian Fire

10. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Tovr............
    [​IMG]

11. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

Good job KILLX! i am a fan fiction nut myself, trolling the archives of fanfiction.net for HALO fanfics. This has real potential.
    AND i am going to sue you if you use tovr, because my name is tovarich cookie!!!!

Actually, i would LOVE it. Good job, again. That is, as long as you mention a cookie somewhere in the book...

And why are you banned?

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm back with mah thread :D

So, UPDATES!

Endwar is as previously stated, TOVR, named after an ancient event archeologists read about in the ruins of the ancient city. TOVR stands for Tal Ocha Via Reynto, but the meaning has been undecipherable as it seems to specifically be a name, and not a common word. While the original TOVR is unimportant overall in this, what is understood is that it was a world changing event that shook the nations that existed at the time to their very cores.

A few gears have shifted. This no longer has aims to go commercial. Sir Forkington, known around these forums as Trid3nt, has joined me to make this a collaborative. I will be focusing on the Jekotian side of the conflict, and Fork on the Brenodi. We have utter awesome in store. More news to come in a future thread (hint: KES)!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

tovr (written tover) pronounced in dutch means "magic"

how can i buy a copy?

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

You don't. It's free. I abandoned commercial so I could work with my friend Trid3nt on the original collaborative concept. I focus on the NF side, he focuses on the BE side. I'll throw up a PDF in a few minutes, watch for the edit!

EDIT

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

a kiss for quick delivery ^^

(k)

tyyyyyyy:p

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Ok...

I'm just going to run very very far away from you now.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how disappointing... oh well you do that and il just read this

page 29 of 37

hopping mostly does not help concealment and stealth, you sure you don't mean "hoping"?

so yea, were they laden?

wat?

and some other stuff that sounded weird to me, overall it was a really good read, and i most enjoyed it!
    one of the best stories about empires imo, let me know when its finished (when we get the end of the battle etc ^^)

btw, i liked how the love letter ended it there, gives some humanity to the characters, and the world they live in

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  19. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

waaay to long for fan fic

20. KILLX

KILLX Banned

It's not a fanfic. Its a fucking novel :D

Thanks for the help blizzerd, I doubt I would have ever found those, I thought those chapters were done.