Empires: Then and now (56k = no)

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by ^Dee^, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Yea, feels more... empirey =o

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The old music sounded like the theme to some space exploration game. The new theme actually sounds like battle music. I never liked the old theme, and any time I asked the guy to modify it he just made it even worse.

3. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Can we hear the old music? So people can customize their install with it?

-Sheepe

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

No, just forget it ever existed.

5. Revolver

Revolver Member

Wow. I'd only started interest in the mod after it went to source. Had never heard of it for BF1942 (wasn't that big of a fan of it then. Just like El Alamein) so this is the first time I ever saw the BF1942 screenies. You guys did very good job, considering how difficult it is to modify BF1942. Can't say I like the light blue camoflage, and some of the tanks looked rather awkward, but it had it's charm.

Then you look at the aircraft and drool. Quite a tease.

6. ^Dee^

I could put the music up if I had a host =o

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

lol beerdude, why don't the sounds get hosted on Qwerty's site?

9. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Wow. Some of the tank models looked a little more tank-ish then the more boxy source models. Hm... still, I bet the shitbox would just be one big box extending 2 ft. off of the tank...

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That site is only for maps ,no sounds, only sounds that are in the map are allowed and they have to be in the zip with the map.

11. ^Dee^

Nah, battlefield's vehicles usually consist of several hitboxes, determining which part of the vehicle is the weakest and the like.

That being said, I don't believe there was anything to research in the BF version of empires =o

12. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Whoa, diffrent parts of the vehicle had diffrent strengths?! That's awesome! Stupid Source... physics? Who needs physics! I WANT STRENGTH-DETERMING HITBOXES.

13. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

yeah, but I prefer research

-Sheepe

14. ^Dee^

and in source you could determine how strong a side will be whereas in BF version, all the tanks had a predetermined hp and stuff.

15. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Individual hitboxes vs. Vector damage.... I'm gonna go with Vectors because you can simulate a turret fairly well

-Sheepe

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I think the half life version looks way better,, or maybe its just the picture quality that makes it seem that way

17. R_yell

R_yell Member

About mapping, I never touched BF but I bet is much faster and easier to make a landscape there than in Source. Actual Source engine let you do lot of things not possible in BF, but not in an easy way. We (or you, better said :p) haven't seen yet what's capable of Source engine in terms of visual quality and landscapes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  18. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I imagine if you guys had used BF:V, it would have looked a little better, BF:V's graphics are pretty good (when compared to BF1942 at least. Foliage is way better in BF:V).

I guess one advantage of the BF engines is they like large areas better than the source engines does in terms of rendering...

As far as mapping in the BF series, I never tried it for 1942, I did for BF:V....took me a bit just to put a darn bridge in, so when I drove a jeep over it, the jeep wouldn't explode. Yeah, it was that touchy...

Once I got my BF:V map done...I think I tried to add bots, realized how hard it was to add bots such that they'd move around and shoot stuff, rather than standing in one place....I gave up in the end.

For BF2...I tried....shaped the map and all, when I went to paint the terrain on, my FPS in the editor went do to 2 or something....it took me half an hour just to paint a small area one terrain type...needless to say, I gave up. Maybe if they fixed the editor up I'll try again someday soon. Or I'll just try using Hammer...port my BF:V map to empires.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  19. ^Dee^

I've had no problems with the BF2 map editor. I've even created a map with it. Mostly drag and drop mind but the editor is probably the most user friendly I've used :)

20. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Really? I used is back when they first released it, and when I started to paint terrains, the framerate dropped and I couldn't get anywhere. All the BF editors appear to be rather simplistic though.

When did you make your map in BF2?