Sins of a Solar Empire

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by decemberscalm, Jan 22, 2008.

1. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Anyone else been watching this game? Its released very soon (13 days from today), although its been in beta for a year or so (THANK GOD).

Its basically a 4x game (Space Empires/Civillization anybody?) in real time with RTS gameplay. I heard it as Homeworld combined with Total Annihilation and I agree. Resources are infinite, and you can zoom in to a tiny fighter in one of your plantets gravity wells fighting off enemy bombers and than zoom out to the grand operation of a dozen solar systems monitoring the epic scale of your massive campaign.

I've read alot, and apparently its very anti-micro which is where alot of 4x games go wrong. They've built the AI to be smart in evrything they do (auto-cast abilitys, targeting, etc.) and as far as I'm concerned they beat Supreme Commander. You assign ships to fleets and they act as a single unit. When you order a fleet to retreat, it makes sure ships jump as fast as they can, instead of jumping all at the same time which is how you'd normally move into areas. Factories can be made to automatically build, and even automatically assign every unit built there to a fleet instead of having to send units to the frontline mannually.

They have the common 4x features such as diplomacy with non-allies, setting up trade with enemies and diplomacy, and even the ability to set a bounty on someone (such as your backstabbing ally).

When its released whose up for a month long "every monday" (they can get that long) game? Thank god for multiplayer save functionallity.

Check it out if you have not.

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Im looking foward to this game as well... And it has such a kick ass name too :p

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Never heard of it, but I am very interested

4. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

I've heard of it, I might get it when it comes out.

It's probably gonna rape my computer though :(

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Definitly been looking forward to this game.

6. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I've been waiting for this game for about a year and a half now. Was too cheap to get into beta, so heres hoping for a demo!.

Oh, and I don't want to micromanage a 4x game. That would suck. But formations generally mean all ships move together, so now I'm confused.

7. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

I feel like the campaign is going to burn out on me like Medieval 2. By the time i'm interested in playing again, i forget all the basics :P

8. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I'd so buy the beta right now if it wasn't closed. Ugh... Just little more than a week left. I want my 4x fix! Anyone know something I can pirate while I wait?

9. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

You and me both. To this day I've only completed one short campaign as England :pathetic:

SOASE looks interesting. I'm more of an alternative rts player (See nub) that prefers tactical instead of spamming play.

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I'm downloading the beta right now ^.^

Tokens off of Stardock will getcha in.

11. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I have yet to complete any of the 7 campaigns im running in Medieval 2.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

linky to stardock tokens?

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I have never beat any Medival campaign... Last most sucsessful game was as britain; I conqured Europe; but the holy land and Egypt were just too much... My generals would die by the time they reached the front...

14. katana9000

katana9000 Member

I have the old beta 3 of this game. I stoped playing it after that so I'm not sure what they added/improved. It was sorta ok when I played it. Most tech was in and all the ships. But only one race. It was fun to play for a little while but failed to hold my attention for long. One really annoying thing to me was that the battleship could beat the crap out of the drednought one on one. That just didn't make any sense to me. Again that was a late beta. (There was supposed to be a beta 4 before launch.) So they may have completely redone the system for all I know. (And hope.) If your a diehard fan of civiliztion or like most/any rts then its something you'll probally like.

15. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Beta 4 (made from November 2008). Two races, now, and the third is going to be in the actual release.

I've played a 50 planet map with my brother on lan in a single 4 or so hour spree against two bots. Beta 4 is a land grab where your fleet cap is dependent on number of planets owned, but in the release it'll be based on research (which still means its based on planets becuase the more planets you have, the more resources, but at least it'll make for constant huge fleet battles at late game when evryone is loaded with resources.

Can't wait for the mods for this game. It'd be pretty awsome to remove capital ships and increase fleet limits to get some pretty awsm swarm battles.

Another thing cool about this game is that it runs SO easy (low end computers like mine) and yet still looks so good.

My one complaint is that there isn't that much variety x.x

16. petemyster

petemyster Member

hmmm, i remember watching a trailer of this AGES ago. One thing i did notice, there are alot of ships (ripped off) from babylon 5. I don't know weather they got permission to put im in (im assuming so because they don't even try and hide the fact its the same ships.

17. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Remove capital ships!? Are you mad!? I want more of them! Bigger ones! Titans, Colossusses, Behemoths, Leviathans!

But thats just me. I LOVE absurdly huge overly powered capital ships the size of a star. :D

18. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Petemyster, you can't copyright a fictional ship type in a tv show. Copying ideas from other people has always been happening.

Katana: YES!

19. Chahk

Chahk Member

That is technically not true. Nobody is copyrighting a type of a spaceship; what's copyrighted is a work of fiction. That includes names, images and other intellectual property. This basically guarantees that plagiarists cannot simply take somebody else's work, tweak a few things and claim it as their own.

20. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Isn't that what a video game is?